Home Learning 15.06.20

Good morning everyone 🙂

I hope you all had a great weekend with your families🌈 I would love to hear what you got up to. It’s our last full week of term and your last full week as Primary 2! Can you believe you are almost big Primary 3s? This week I will be back in Room 4 having a big clear out, It’s very quiet without you all!

Welcome to Burnside Sports Week!

Two new activities will be posted every day on the Burnside School App at 9am (there is an overview of these below) and pupils can email pictures of their efforts to the gw18burnsidephotos@glow.sch.uk and/or self Tweet their pictures/videos to @burnsideprim and @ActiveSchoolsSL including the hashtag #BurnsideForGold

Everybody at home can take part 🙂

Sports Day Activities Overview

As well as sports week, it’s all about ‘Burnside’s Got Talent’  too this week and we hope you have been practising! All of the Burnside Primary children are invited  to share their talents with us on twitter 15th-19th June. We can retweet if you tweet @burnsideprim and there will be a certificate to download on the app for everyone taking part. We are very excited!

Below is this weeks suggested learning tasks. Remember just to do whatever suits your household best and if you have a spare minute I’d love to see all of your fantastic learning.

gw18burnsidephotos@glow.sch.uk
(Remember to put Room 4 Miss Laidlaw in 
the subject box)

Spelling
Click the spelling tab at the top to find activities you can do to help your child learn  their words.

As this week is the last full week of term, I won’t be providing new spelling words. All of the taught phonemes and common words are in the tabs at the top of the blog. If your child wants to work on their spelling, pleasure consolidate the words that have been taught.

CHALLENGE ACTIVITY – Ask your child to write a sentence for each word. Remind them to use V.C.O.P. (Vocabulary, Connectives, Openers, Punctuation) to uplevel their sentences. Here are some ‘sentence stretching ideas’.

Reading

Personal Reading (20 mins each day) Remember you can access lots of online stories by clicking the reading tab at the top of the page.

Use your personal reading book to choose from the activities below:

• Design a new front cover
  • Summarise the beginning, middle and end of your book.
  • Write a new ending for your story
  • Draw a character from your story, describe them by labelling it with good adjectives
  • Find 3 tricky words and use a dictionary to help you find the meaning of them.

Writing

Positives of Lockdown. Click the link below to find an activity all about the positive things about being stuck at home for the last little while. It might be that you got to spend a lot more time with your family, you got to play in the garden lots or you learned a new skill! One of my positives is that I finally managed to do lots of jobs that I never had the time to do 🙂

Positives Of Lockdown

Fathers Day
Father’s Day is on Sunday 21st of June. Here are some activities if you want to make something special for your Dad.

All About My Dad
Fathers Day Colouring
Fathers day newspaper template
Fathers day vouchers

Home Sports Day
Design a poster for your family advertising your Home Sports Day. Remember to include the date and time. Remember to include anything your family will need to bring with them and where the Sports Day will take place.

Activity 1 – Consolidation Pods
Login to study ladder to find your groups consolidation pods http://www.studyladder.co.uk

Activity 2 – Multiplication

Squares and Triangles – Multiplication Activities

The Circles haven’t learned Multiplication in school. They can absolutely have a go at this activity as it is appropriate for their level, they just haven’t been taught it yet 🙂 I would suggest they use this game instead to consolidate addition and subtraction as well as working on the counting in multiples activity below.

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/mental-maths-train

Activity 3 – Counting in Multiples

Counting in 2s, 5s and 10s (1)
Counting in 2s, 5s, 10s (2)

Activity 4 – Data Handling
Click the link below for sorting activities.

Sorting Objects
Sorting 3D shapes

Activity 5 – Recall
Use the games below to work on recall of addition facts, doubling,  halving, multiplication etc

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button

Keep an eye on the Burnside Primary School App and Burnside Twitter to participate in sports week related activities.

Extra P.E and Movement Activities

June Mini Topics
I am going to provide a choice two different focusses for our ‘Mini Topic’ in June. You can pick one of these to focus on and learn about, you can do both or you can dip in and out of both. Again, this is an overview of suggested activities. You can do these or you can think of your own ideas relevant to the topic. These topic webs make reference to some resources. I’ll link these in the ‘Social Studies’ tab at the top. 

Mini beasts topic

summer mini topic

Usually, on the last week of school, we do a lots of consolidation and we also get the chance to work on some fun activities too. I have linked some summer themed booklets/activities below.

Addition Mosaics

End of Year booklet

My memories from this year

Summer Place Value Code Breaking

Extra Activities

• Take part in our virtual school trip
  • Sports day Wordsearch –
  • Take part in Burnside’s Got Talent
  • Browse previous tasks/activities you may have missed
  • Participate in our Wednesday Challenge (or any previous weekly challenges)
  • Browse curriculum pages at top of blog to find an array of different activities added to regularly.

Have a wonderful week everyone 🙂

Miss Laidlaw🌈