Home Learning 18.05.20

Good Morning boys and girls (and grown ups) 🙂

Welcome to another week of home learning. I hope you had a nice weekend whether you were relaxing or keeping busy! I will be helping out in Calderwood this week so I may be slower than usual to reply to messages – but please do still send them. I love seeing what you have all been up to. Here’s the email if you haven’t had a chance yet;

gw18burnsidephotos@glow.sch.uk
(Remember to put Room 4 Miss Laidlaw in 
the subject box)

Friday and Monday is another Holiday weekend (Already? I can’t believe it either!) so there won’t be anything up on those days and you can have break from learning.  Any photos sent in will still make it on the blog on ‘Terrific Work Thursday;)’ this week.

Birthdays
We usually always love to celebrate Birthdays in Room 4. If you are having an ‘at home’ birthday this year, please feel free to let me know. I am sure your friends would love to leave a message to wish you all a Happy Birthday!

Support
You may have noticed I have been adding pages to the blog as we go along. If you have a minute to browse there are some handy resources. Particularly, in the ‘support’ tab (Thanks Miss Ferry!) . I know that this is a tricky time for both the children and the grown ups – I hope that this is helpful.

Reading and Writing

(These activities can be split over a couple of days)

Personal Reading (15-20 mins daily if possible) Check the reading tab at the top of blog if you are limited with reading book options at home. There are some great ebook options.

Strawberries
Click the links below to find a story called Wild Pets and follow up reading and writing activities.

Wild Pets Story

Follow Up Activities

Pineapples and Grapes
Click the links below to find a story called ‘The Mouse, The Frog and The Little Red Hen’ and follow up reading and writing activities.

Mouse Frog Little Hen Story
Follow up Activities

Lemons
Click the link below to find a rhyming story called ‘Dogs eat Frogs’ and follow up reading and writing activities.

Dogs Eat Frogs

Spelling

Talking and Listening

Some different ideas for talking and listening activities at home. The boys and girls love the following directions style listening activities we have done in class so I have tried to find similar to those (unfortunately ours are still in the building 🙁 ) My favourite one is the 5 minute quiz (there’s a funny trick at the end to check they are truly following the instructions) but some of the groups may need help from a grown up to read through it.

5 minute quiz

Listen and do

listen and draw

These reading prompts could also be helpful to discuss a book that your child has been reading.

reading prompts

Activity 1 – Money
I hope everyone enjoyed recapping Money with RBS a couple of weeks ago. Here are some more revision activities.  Squares and Triangles- If you are confident, challenge yourself by drawing out bigger coins or using coins around the house to do the same activities 🙂

Money 1

Money 2

Activity 2 – Calculation

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/5-7-years/addition-and-subtraction 

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/number-facts/number-fact-families

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button

Activity 3 – Time
Some fun practical time activities to help ch understand the concept of Time/duration.

Time in Seconds

Activity 4 – Measure (Capacity)
Below are some activities you can do at home to learn about capacity and volume!

Capacity and volume

Capacity Practical

capacity spoon challenge

more than less than capacity

An extra weights and measure scavenger hunt weights and measure scavenger hunt

P.E and Movement Activities

• Joe Wicks PE (every morning at 9am)
  • Active Schools Challenges (Twitter – every Monday, Wednesday and Friday)
  • Jump Start Jonny (New videos every Monday or lots available on website)
  • GoNoodle (Dance, exercise and mindfulness videos available)
  • Superhero physical training
  • activity ideas for walks

Mindful Minutes

Mindful Minute Brain Breaks

This will be our topic focus for May. Click the link below to find activity ideas. For some of these activities there are activity sheets to match – I’ll put them in the tab at the top of the page – or you can make your own.

Dinosaurs mini topic

Most of the boys and girls in the class have read a book called ‘How to Make a Bird Feeder’ as their school reading book. We were planning on having a go at putting this in action in class and then hanging them up in the playground. In the book they used pinecones and rolled them in peanut butter which you could easily do at home 🙂 but obviously this isn’t something we would have been able to use in school so there are lots of other  easy ideas.

We were going to use popcorn 🙂

Homemade Bird Feeders

https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/makes/bird-feeder

https://nurturestore.co.uk/how-to-make-a-bird-feeder

Extra Activities 

• Take part in our virtual school trip
  • Browse previous tasks/activities you may have missed
  • Participate in our Wednesday Challenge (or any previous weekly challenges)

Have a wonderful week everyone 🙂

Miss Laidlaw💕