Home learning W/B 20/4/20

Good morning everyone and welcome to back to home learning week 4. I hope you all had a lovely Easter and some time off from doing school work. And of course, I hope the Easter Bunny treated you all to some chocolate eggs 🙂 I don’t know about you, but I don’t think I can eat any more chocolate for a while now!

Now that the spring break is over, most of us have probably had a go at lots of the tasks in the home learning pack. This new week sees the start of Term 3 and whilst it still feels very strange not to see all of your lovely faces in class, I’ll do my best to keep everyone busy and learning. Every Monday, I’m going to be posting a variety of literacy, numeracy and other tasks. All of the literacy/numeracy activities I suggest will be building on things that we should already know. These tasks can be carried out, in any order, throughout the week. I would suggest one numeracy and one literacy activity each day. Again, everybody is in a different situation so please do whatever you can with your child and don’t worry about completing it all.

Spelling
Revision week! Pick 10 common words from the tab at the top to work on.
Activities you could try; rainbow spelling, scribble spelling, backwards spelling, alphabetical order and multi-sensory spelling (paint, pasta, chalk etc).

Handwriting
Now that we have all been working hard on our letter formation and can write wonderful words and sentences, we can start to think about learning to join those letters up! In your pack there is a handwriting booklet (I know some of you may have had a go at this already). If you have tried this page, you can have another practise on paper or try to think of some other ‘un, um’ words to join.

Focus on Comp (Comprehension)
Read through the text and answer the questions (make sure to practise writing in full sentences)

Strawberries, Pineapples and Grapes

Lemons

Dictionary Skills
Click on the link below to find a list to put into alphabetical order. Remember, if the first letters are the same jump to the next one.

Strawberries, Grapes and Pineapples

Fruit Alphabetical Ordering Sheet

Lemons

Alphabetical Order Worksheet

Reading and Writing

Personal reading – Try to set aside some time every day to read for enjoyment. This is the most invaluable thing you can do at home and a minimum of 15 mins each day is perfect.

Click the link below to find a poem.  Follow the reading and writing activities that are provided. Instead of printing out the sequencing cards, you can use a ruler or something with a straight edge to divide a piece of paper into the boxes and draw your own.

Strawberries, Grapes and Pineapples

Dad and the Cat and the Tree

Lemons

I Really Want To Be A Cat

Extra writing – Ask your child to write about how different our spring break was this year. Include what things they did instead of going out to visit new places or visit their friends. What was their favourite thing to do? and how did they keep in touch with family and friends. Remember to use VCOP (vocab/wow words, connectives, openers and punctuation) and illustrate your writing.

None of these numeracy concepts should be new learning to us. These links should take you straight to a PDF document with helpful reminders/hints and activities you could try. It can be can printed (if you are able), use paper to complete or work through orally together with your child. As long as you work on the concept ( eg. odd and even numbers) it doesn’t matter which way you do it.

Odd and Even Numbers

Week 3 odd and even numbers

Challenge! 
Squares – Can you make up odd and even 3 digit numbers?
Triangles – Can you make up odd and even 2digit numbers?
Circles – Can you memorise all of the odd numbers to 10 and all of the even numbers to 10?

Doubles
Squares and triangles, you should be working on doubles to 20. Circles, you should be memorising doubles to 10.

Week 3 – Doubles

Adding Tens Numbers
Squares and Triangles, if you can confidently add 10 you can try adding 20/30.
Circles, keep working on adding 10

Week 3 – Adding 10, 20 and 30

Adding 5 single digit numbers
We can all do 1d + 1d, this is a bit of fun using your learn its.
If adding 5 is too tricky, try adding 3.

Week 3 – Adding more than two single digits

There are lots of ideas on previous blog posts but some popular ones were;

• Joe Wicks  – 9am PE with Joe on YouTube
  • Active sports weekly challenges on Twitter

O T H E R

WW1 – continue to work on creating those WW1 3D tanks
Art – Get creative outside; you could use leaves and sticks to create a picture or chalk and tape to create a work of art like the one below.

My COVID19 Time Capsule
An additional activity that I really liked is this printable time capsule booklet. As this strange time will be one for the history books for years to come, it might be nice for the children to look back on and maybe even act as a helpful reminder in the future to appreciate all of the little things we can all take for granted!

Covid19 Time Capsule

And finally, if you are looking for more activities do, there are loads of of resources and ideas on previous blog posts if you scroll and have a browse.

I will be posting throughout the week (including a fun weekly challenge!) and I will be available to reply to any comments/messages. Remember you can share your learning via gw18burnsidephotos@glow.sch.uk. Any problems with any of the links, please let me know via that comments.

Have a lovely week boys and girls, it looks like it’s going to be a sunny one so if you’re lucky enough to have a garden maybe you could do your work outdoors or if not, get out for a lovely sunny walk for a break away from school work.

As always, I miss you all loads!

Miss Laidlaw 🙂

6 thoughts on “Home learning W/B 20/4/20

1. You’re very welcome! I loved it – I was even tempted to do one myself. Keep safe 🙂

2. Thank you for all the great ideas! I like the time capsule one too. Lots to keep them busy and happy. Hope you are doing fine and keeping safe.