Week 4 …. Bikeability, brainstorming and a wee blether

We have continued with another fun filled week at Heathery Knowe PS and many of our clubs and activities are getting underway. Miss Houldsworth will lead netball this year and the pupils have already participated in the first session. Miss Inglis starts the football club next week and I know the pupils are really excited about trying for a place in the school team. In the next week or two we will have a reading club, computer club and choir for senior pupils. We will then turn our attention to our younger pupils to ensure pupils in Primary 1-4 have opportunities to participate in extra curricular activities too. I would warmly invite any parents / carers to let us know if they would be interested in leading or supporting a lunch time or after school club.

Communication with Parents 

The @Knoweschool twitter feed is used to share information about Heathery Knowe PS and I am delighted that there are 124 followers already. During the open afternoon and parent consultation sessions we will be seeking feedback on our use of twitter and permission to include photographs of pupils on the accounts. Three class teachers are piloting a class twitter account (Rooms 1, 2 and 6) where they are sharing information about learning and photographs of work at the moment but no pictures of pupils.

Bikeability 

A huge thank you to parents / carers for supporting pupils to prepare for Bikeability. I know that bringing a bike to school can add to an already tight schedule in the morning and I am very impressed that our Primary 5 pupils and families seem to achieve it with such ease. Mr Loveday worked tirelessly to check the bikes and begin the teaching sessions and overall he was impressed with the responsible attitude shown by pupils.

Junior Leadership Team 

Next week, I will be inviting Primary 7 pupils to express their interest in being part of the Junior Leadership Team. All Primary 7 pupils are welcome to stand for election. Pupils in Primary 6 and 7  will each have one vote to elect a team of four Primary 7 pupils to work together with the Senior Leadership Team to improve the school. 

The Junior Leadership Team will focus on three particular areas of the school:

• Teaching and Learning
  • Improving the school environment
  • Pupil wellbeing

The team will meet with me regularly to discuss new projects and to give feedback from their peers on the running of the school. 

‘The Wee Blether’

This week I started meeting with small groups of pupils from Room 10 to discuss school life, areas for improvement and their ideas to make Primary 7 a fabulous year. Pupils were keen to come and tell me what they thought of our school (although I am sure the box of biscuits helped). I was impressed with the honesty, responsibility and insight that our young people have on life in the classroom and wider school. Next week I will meet with all of the remaining Primary 7 pupils in small groups and then produce a feedback sheet which will also be shared with parents / carers of Room 10 pupils.

Over the course of the year I plan to have ‘a wee blether’ each week with groups of pupils across the school.

Co-operation Cup 

On Friday, a new trophy arrived in school ready for the launch of the Co-operation Cup. Every Friday the Co-operation Cup will be awarded to the class who have the most golden tokens. Golden tokens will be awarded when staff notice our school values in action. When we notice our young people going the extra mile to demonstrate respect, responsibility, honesty and friendship a token will be awarded for the class jar.  I look forward  to seeing which class is awarded the Co-operation Cup for the very first time.

Handball

Last Monday and Tuesday the pupils took part in Handball sessions with EK82 Handball Club. It was lovely to see our pupils actively engaged in sport and demonstrating team work and friendship.

Electives

Electives are now underway and pupils are able to personalise their learning experience by choosing an elective to join. As I walk round the school on a Wednesday afternoon I can see pupils engaged in a wide range of activities including cookery, badminton, art and jogging.

What’s on next week?

• I will continue to meet with Primary 7 pupils to continue ‘the wee blether’ about improving school and classroom experiences.
  • Our Specialist Support Teacher, Mrs Byrne, will start on Monday. This week she will meet class teachers and begin to plan for pupils.
  • Mr Scott and I will visit classes as part of our self evaluation process.
  • On Wednesday afternoon at 2.20pm, parents / carers are welcome to visit school to see the classroom area and meet the teacher.
  • Mrs French returns to school for a ‘Keeping In Touch’ day on Thursday and we look forward to welcoming her back to work in November.

Thank you for your continued support

Kirsty Duff