In these uncertain times I would like to sign post you to a few areas of support that young people can access.
From a local perspective SIC Youth and Employability Services are offering an online space for young people to come and speak to a youth worker if they have any worries or just need to chat – see the poster below, launching today! Just send us a direct message on Instagram @shetlandyouth.
You can see updates and information on our social media channels via Facebook @SIC Youth and Employability Services and Twitter/Instagram @Shetlandyouth.
From a national perspective there are a number of organisations who can help provide information:
Coronavirus updates for young people: – Youth Scotland
Looking after mental health whilst self-isolating – YoungMinds
|YoungMinds – children and young people’s mental health charity
We’re the UK’s leading charity fighting for children and young people’s mental health. We will make sure all young people get the best possible mental health support and have the resilience to overcome life’s challenges.
LGBT – LGBT Youth Scotland
Free Counselling service – https://www.childline.org.uk/
|Childline | Childline
Get help and advice about a wide range of issues, call us on 0800 1111, talk to a counsellor online, send Childline an email or post on the message boards.
Phone 0808 808 4994 (24 hours)
And here are some top tips during this time:
- Talk to someone about how you’re feeling
- Arm yourself with the facts – Government websites
- Know what you can do- NHS websites
- Don’t over expose yourself to the news – Take a break from social media
- Stick to your normal routines – Wake up times, work times, exercise, bed times
- Find things that help you feel clam – music, talking to friends, breathing techniques, writing a diary, make yourself ‘self soothe box’
- Prepare – Stay connected with your school, college or workplace. No what is expected of you while they are closed. Being prepared reduces anxiety and troubling thoughts
- Volunteer – If you are not unwell or showing any symptoms in line with NHS guidelines, volunteer to help at your local shop, food bank, get neighbours prescriptions/food shop. Volunteer boosts your self-worth during difficult times
Please everyone stay safe and if you need to talk use the live chat!