Youth Services

SIC Youth and Employability Services work with young people to support wider achievement and recognise development of skills for learning, life and work.

Recognising young people as partners in their learning, they support young people to engage in learning and reflect on their achievements.

They build meaningful relationships with young people and their families to involve them in the decision making process.  By improving health and wellbeing, they support young people to build their confidence, self-esteem and resilience.  The work they do has a positive impact on attitudes and behaviours of young people helping them to develop goals and opportunities for their future.

AHS Youth Worker

Hello,

My Name is Kevin Gillick and I am the Youth Worker based at the Anderson High School

I have recently joined SIC Youth from North Lanarkshire Council where I worked as a Support Worker at both a local and local authority level, working with young people around youth participation and engagement.

I finished my BA in Community Education at the University of the West of Scotland where I studied for 3 years. I love travelling and have participated in the Camp America and Teach Thailand programmes.

You can find my office at Room 0.08 in the school, if you want to meet me and chat.

Youth Work Programmes in the AHS

Specifically for S1 the youth work programmes that are on offer in school are:

• Virtually Safe Virtually Sound: A school takeover that aims to educate and inform young people about keeping themselves safe online and in the real world – and showing them what to do should they get into trouble. Besides bullying, the issues of online grooming and unsafe relationships can be explored. For more information check out >>> https://www.safershetland.com/for-children-and-young-people
  • One to one support: We deliver one-to-one support sessions with pupils who are struggling to engage with school and/or display social, emotional and behavioural support needs, to raise attendance, engagement and attainment.
  • Enhanced Transitions: We recognise that some groups of young people have additional support needs and/or personal circumstances which means they may have significant barriers to learning and employment.  Therefore, they may require an Enhanced Transition towards their school leaving date to support them into their post school destination.  In such cases, 16+ agencies in Shetland will work with the school, young person and their parents/carers to ensure the young person can engage in appropriate progressive activity after they leave school.  Young people are entitled to an Enhanced Transition up to two years before their school leaving date.

As part of becoming a more nurturing school we are offering a 3 strand nurture approach:

• Breakfast Club runs 5 mornings a week ensuring young people have the best possible start to the day this is open to the whole school, and is at the front of the school 8:20-8:50am.
  • Summer school: we are offering 2 separate weeks during the summer holidays where young people can come to the school and get an enjoyable experience this will be running for a whole week for groups of young people P7-S1 and S4-S5. All young people will do HI5 or Dynamic youth award as part of the week.
  • Nurture Groups: We will be offering nurture groups in every year group S1-S6 so that all young people at AHS can access a point of support at any stage.

We also offer:

• LGBT+ Work: We have the AHS LGBT+ Group which is open to anyone LGBT+ or allies this runs lunchtime on Thursdays and afterschool on Tuesday in room 1.29. They do work around making sure the school is championing the issues LGBT+ people face, fighting for equality
  • Pupil Council: The Student Representative Council is the voice for all young people in the AHS they champion the issues all young people at the AHS face and make the school a better place they meet every week on a Monday lunchtime in Room 2.30.