Art & Design Department Ethos
Our aim is to heighten pupils’ awareness of the visual world and develop their creativity, imagination, and problem-solving skills.
Pupils must be made aware that our subject encompasses all facets of their lives. It is about their clothes, their home, their environment, the films and videos they watch, the computers they use, and the books, magazines, posters, and advertising they are bombarded with every day.
Pupils must be made aware of the influence of artists and designers on our society, and how their work can enrich their lives.
Art and Design courses involve exercises in:
- line, tone, colour, shape, form, pattern & texture
- observational drawing and painting
- the design process, craftwork and 3D work
- working in a variety of media
- discussion of paintings & applied arts