Making Music Outdoors

Why Learn Outdoors

Outdoor learning experiences are often remembered for a lifetime. Integrating learning and outdoor experiences, whether through play in the immediate grounds or adventures further afield, provide relevance and depth to the curriculum in ways that are difficult to achieve indoors.’             

Curriculum for Excellence through Outdoor Learning’. Education Scotland

After a recent study, it was found that 75% of children spend less time outdoors than prison inmates. Both adults and children benefit from time in the outdoors and outdoor learning is an integral part of the Recovery Curriculum for the return to school in August.

Environment

Providing opportunities for music outdoors  is a great way to support children’s sensory development as well as their creativity.   Musical resources outside allow children to access instruments independently  and work together  improvising or helping each other learn through exploration of different instruments and the sounds they create.

A Music Wall

What Can I do GraphicInvolve the children to find out what sounds they would like and the materials which could be used. Involving the parents as well, encourages them to donate unwanted items such as pots and pans, plastic buckets, and kitchen utensils which can be attached  to a fence or upright pallet to create a music wall.

Can you create a xylophone from different lengths of wood or pipes to create an instrument?

This blog page at Creative Stars Learning gives some other ideas for Creating a Music wall

Musical Instruments

Why not store some musical instruments outside? This will allow children to explore them without disturbing other children’s play inside the setting. Just be aware of how close they are to other classrooms in use.

Select a range of instruments to put onto shelving. Use a tarpaulin or plastic table cloth to create a cover which can be held in place with bungee cord. Create shadows for the children to return instruments to their rightful place.

Loose Parts

Loose parts have endless possibilities for musical creations. The different materials loose parts are made from, the different surfaces and different locations allow children to explore the vast range of sounds possible in their environment.  

What Can I do GraphicDrum Outdoors ~ a  phonological awareness activity

Each child needs to find a ‘beater’ – could be a kitchen utensil or stick.  Encourage the children to explore the outdoor area and discover the different sounds which can be made by using their ‘beater’. It doesn’t have to be hitting, it could be stroking.

Ask the children to share their favourite sound with the group.

Why not create ‘a band’ so the children can compose a piece of music with these?

Gather Time

From the dawn of time, communities from around the globe have gathered to eat, sing and dance developing a sense of belonging and togetherness.

Campfire singing!

What Can I do GraphicWhether at the end of a session, at snack time, during a forest school type activity or with a small group, gather round and sing songs together as if sitting round a campfire. Action songs are great if the weather is a bit chilly as it keeps the children moving.

If you aren’t confident to hold a tune, remember the words or actions, why not use the YMI videos to support you? Take a phone or iPad with you to support your lead.

Videos can be accessed on the YMI YouTube Channel or other other pages in this Blog

Realising the Ambition

In this Education Scotland document we find on page 31 the following  statements.

• Give me opportunities to learn about music through encouraging me to explore tunes, rhymes, rhythms, timing, pattern and movement.
    • I need access to a variety of interesting spaces both indoors and outdoors, filled with open-ended opportunities for me to explore and inquire.
    • Provide opportunities to find out how artists, dancers and musicians express their ideas and encourage me to try out my own expressions and interpretations

Learning through Landscape

Outdoor Learning: Practical Ideas and guidance for Teachers and practitioners in Scotland