Getting It Right For Every Child (GIRFEC)

– Reflecting on Practice

QI 2.5 p35

How is our family learning supporting families’ progress in relation to the GIRFEC wellbeing indicators? How do we know?

QI 3.1 p42

How do we ensure that all practitioners undertake regular professional learning around legislation, statutory requirements, national and local guidance and codes of practice?

Have we successfully established an inclusive learning environment and setting? How welcome and included do all children, parents/carers and partners feel? How do we know?

To what extent has creating an ethos and culture of inclusion and participation been successful in supporting children to make very good progress? How can this be strengthened?

To what extent are the GIRFEC principles reflected in the work of our setting? What actions do we need to make to bring about further improvements? How well do we use information about children’s wellbeing to support their care, learning and development?

QI 1.1 p10 – Nurturing care and support

Children are nurtured and supported throughout their daily experience

Children’s individual wellbeing benefits from the effective use of personal planning

All children get the support they need to reach their full potential

QI 1.2 p16 – Children are safe and protected

Children are supported to feel safe, secure and are protected from harm.

Staff have a clear understanding of their responsibilities and are supported by comprehensive child protection procedures to inform their practice.

1.27 I am supported to achieve my potential in education and employment if this is right for me. 2.27. As a child, I can direct my own play and activities in the way that I choose, and freely access a wide range of experiences and resources suitable to my age and stage, which stimulate my natural curiosity, learning and creativity.

3.13 I am treated as an individual by people who respect my needs, choices and wishes, and anyone making a decision about my future care and support knows me.

3.20 I am protected from harm, neglect, abuse, bullying and exploitation by people who have a clear understanding of their responsibilities.

3.21 I am protected from harm because people are alert and respond to signs of significant deterioration in my health and wellbeing, that I may be unhappy or may be at risk of harm.

3.22 I am listened to and taken seriously if I have a concern about the protection and safety of myself or others, with appropriate assessments and referrals made.

4.17 If I am supported and cared for by a team or more than one organisation, this is well coordinated so that I experience consistency and continuity.

p37

The GIRFEC approach is designed to be flexible enough to support all children and families whatever their need, whenever they need it. It is about responding in a meaningful, supportive way, working with parents and carers wherever possible.

p38

Best practice will;

• put the best interests of the child at the heart of decision making,
  • take a holistic approach to the wellbeing of a child,
  • work with children, young people and their families on ways to improve wellbeing,
  • advocate preventative work and early intervention to support children, young people and their families, and,
  • believe professionals must work together in the best interests of the child.