Gender Equality

– Reflecting on Practice

QI 3.1 p40 Inclusion & Equality

We value diversity and challenge discrimination. In our setting we understand, value and celebrate age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation

p51 

Protected characteristics is the term used in The Equality Act 2010 to describe who is protected by law. Protection varies on whether a person is at work or using the service. There are eight protected characteristics of people who use services. These are: disability; sex (gender); gender reassignment; pregnancy and maternity; race; religion or belief; sexual orientation; and age.

p5

Young children naturally expect professionals to care about, understand, value and respect them and their family life, language and culture. If these expectations aren’t realised, instead of developing a sense of belonging and wellbeing within the new situation, there is a risk that children will feel isolated, insecure or excluded.

p7

Every child and family is entitled to recognition of their own culture, identity, language and histories and to these being met by high quality, equitable provision in our ELC and school settings. Knowing that receiving settings will always make time to see and get to know each child and their family as a unit, is fair and just.

QI 2.2 p35 Curriculum – Features of highly-effective practice

We make our children and young people aware of a range of careers and the skills required for them. We challenge gender stereotypes within careers.

QI 3.1 p48 Inclusion & Equality- Level 5 illustration

In our school age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation are not barriers to participation and achievement.

QI 3.3 p53 Increasing creativity and employability – Features of Highly Effective Practice

The school is proactive in addressing gender imbalances across the curriculum and challenging any prejudice-based choices about future careers and learning pathways.

P42-43 

Section 3.7 The impact of conscious and unconscious gender bias

1.1 I am accepted and valued whatever my needs, ability, gender, age, faith, mental health status, race, background or sexual orientation.

1.2 My human rights are protected and promoted and I experience no discrimination.

4.1 My human rights are central to the organisations that support and care for me.

4.2 The organisations that support and care for me help tackle health and social inequalities.

p9, Criteria 8

Promoting equality of opportunity and developing a workforce which reflects the population of Scotland in terms of characteristics such as age, gender, religion or belief, race, sexual orientation and disability;