Visit from Fisherman, Mr Jack.

Today we welcomed another interesting visitor to our class. Mr Jack,  a fisherman from Troon Harbour told us all about his job. He owns a fishing boat named ‘Ocean Hunter’ which is equipped to stay at sea for a week. Being a fisherman can mean you’re away from home for a long time. Mr Jack brought a wonderful variety fish for us to look at. We all had the opportunity to handle the fish with our plastic gloves on.

Leah said: “I think Mr Jack is very brave to hold the fish. It looked a bit difficult to hold the lobster without it pinching him.”

Matthew commented: “I really liked the angler fish or monkfish as it’s usually known. I also liked touching the lobster although it was a bit scary because it was still alive.”

Charlotte added: “Usually when Mr Jack is out fishing he trawls the seabed for prawns.”

Dylan said: “I thought it was very kind of Mr Jack to bring in all his fishing equipment to let us look at it. I liked trying on the inflatable lifejacket. Mr Jack pulled a cord to make it inflate and I felt a bit squashed!”

Millie explained: “My favourite fish was the lobster because it had a really hard shell on its back. I also liked the sea urchins which looked green and spiky.”

Emma said: “I liked touching all the slimy fish but the lobster was my favourite with its hard shell which felt strange to touch.”

Harley added: “I really like fish. Mr Jack told us that cod is used to make fish fingers.”

Beth said: ” Mr Jack allowed us to try on his fishing gloves. They are rough on the outside to help him grip the fish.”