Hello pumpkins!

We love autumn time! We have discussed the leaves changing colours, the weather getting colder, the days not being so long and of course… seasonal vegetables! The boys and girls have been busy “cooking” and “making dinners” in the house corner using vegetables associated with autumn – the most popular one was a pumpkin! So we decided to buy some more big pumpkins to explore!

M: “Buy new pumpkins. 5 pumpkins.”
J: “They’re so heavy!”
A: “It’s big and round and orange.”

We placed the pumpkins in the middle of the room and decided that we need to take the top of the pumpkin off. Ania helped us do it as we had to use a sharp knife to do so. We then started taking all the insides out!

L: “It feels gooey!”
E: “I can smell it, I think it smells sweet. I don’t like it.”
M: “Can I use a spoon? It’s too slimey.”
O: “It’s like slime!”

We were then wondering what we could do with the insides out the pumpkins…

L: “I know! We could make a pumpkin soup!” – what a fantastic idea! We’re going to make it next, for our snack!

While exploring the outside and inside of the pumpkin, M did some good thinking. He stood up and brought a basket of golf tees to us. He started pushing the golf tees into the pumpkin – it was hard as the skin of the pumpkin was tough! M then decided that…

M: “We need a hammer!” – so off we went looking for hammers!

When we found some, we had so much fun! The boys and girls did fantastic sharing of golf tees and hammers between each other and we used our strong muscles to hammer the golf tees into the pumpkin. It proved hard as the pumkin was moving in all directions – L said “It’s because it’s round.” Great thinking! The boys and girls spent most of the morning and afternoon exploring the pumpkins and trying to cover them with all of the golf tees!

A: “It’s hard!”
V: “You need to watch your fingers with the hammers!”
R: “I can do it by myself now!”
O: “Look at all of the holes it’s making!”
P: “I can see the nails inside!”