Our tinkering table

We have started introducing our tinkering table to the boys and girls. At the beginning of morning and afternoon sessions, Annemarie explained to the children what the tinkering table is used for and we discussed the safety rules when playing in this area.

M: “We need to wear the yellow jackets and only two children at the time!”
J: “Safety goggles are for protecting our eyes.”
L: “You need to put the tools in its place!”

Our tinkering table is full of real tools and real equipment! We are learning how to safely use hammers, pliers, screwdrivers and spanners. The boys and girls have been very excited to take apart old telephones, scanners and clocks.

The children have been working very well together, taking turns and remembering how to safely play at the tinkering table. The staff have observed a lot of problem solving, team working and imagination – how fantastic!

We would like to thank all of the parents and families who have kindly donated old equipment for the children to take apart and explore. If you have any spare accessories/appliances that you could bring in to the nursery, it would be really appreciated.

L: “I just need to screw this in.”
E: “I’m building a clock.”
F: “You use a hammer to hammer things.”
E: “I have safety goggles so I don’t get hurt!”
E: “I’m trying to get the nail out using the screwdriver.”
R: “I like taking things apart.”