Renfrewshire Education Committee strongly encourages the wearing of an agreed school uniform because of the many benefits which flow to the school and families. Each school’s clothing policy should be approved by a majority of pupils, parents and staff.
There are forms of dress which are unacceptable in school, such as items of clothing which:
- potentially, encourage faction (such as football colours)
- could cause offence ( such as anti-religious symbolism or political slogans)
- could cause health and safety difficulties, such as loose-fitting clothing, dangling earrings, tracksuits of inflammable material in practical classes
- could cause damage to flooring
- carry advertising, particularly for alcohol or tobacco
- could be used to inflict damage on other pupils or be used by others to do so
- are valuable or expensive items of clothing or jewellery which present a security issue for the school
Under no circumstances will pupils be deprived of any educational benefit as a result of not wearing a uniform and, in particular, pupils will not be denied access to examinations as a result of not wearing the uniform.
Parents of children receiving Family Income Support, Family Credit, Housing Benefit or Council Tax Rebate will normally be entitled to monetary grants or vouchers for footwear and clothing for their children. Approval of any requests for such grants made by parents in different circumstances is at the discretion of the Director of Education. Information and application forms may be obtained from schools and from Area and Education Offices.
Parents are asked to assist schools and the authority by ensuring that valuable items and unnecessarily expensive items of clothing are not brought to school. Parents should note that the authority does not carry insurance to cover the loss of such items and any claims submitted are likely to be met only where the authority can be shown to have been negligent.
Most parents of pupils in Bishopton Primary School wish children to wear school uniform. After our recent consultation with parents at the request of the Parent Council, the Bishopton Primary School uniform will be a combination of any of the following items
- WHITE SHIRT/ BLOUSE & BISHOPTON SCHOOL TIE
- RED SCHOOL POLO SHIRT (badged or unbadged)
- NAVY BLUE SCHOOL SWEATSHIRT ROUND OR V NECK (badged or unbadged)
- NAVY BLUE ROUND OR V NECK JUMPER/ CARDIGAN (badged or unbadged)
- NAVY BLUE SMART TROUSERS / SKIRT / PINAFORE
- Navy Joggers
- Navy Leggings
- Navy Culottes
- RED SCHOOL POLO SHIRT (badged or unbadged)
- Navy Shorts
- Navy Sweatshirt(badged or unbadged)(Outdoor P.E)
- Navy Joggers/Leggings(Outdoor P.E)
- Change of shoes (Indoor P.E)
Navy school blazers and badged navy jackets are available from uniform suppliers, but these are optional items.
Footwear, where possible, should be dark in colour and appropriate to the seasonal weather and conditions underfoot.
Blue and red checked summer dresses can also be worn if the weather permits but again these are entirely optional.
White shirt and tie will continue to be the preferred option for formal occasions.
As black is the colour of the Park Mains uniform and an exciting part of the P7 transfer to high school please refrain from this colour. P7 pupils can wear Leavers Hoodies in the final term after the Spring Break.
This information has been shared with uniform suppliers and we kindly ask that you do not put them in an awkward position by asking them to provide badged items outwith the agreed school uniform e.g badged hooded sweatshirts, items in other colours. Tartan pinafores, red cardigans and hoodies are NOT part of the Bishopton Primary School uniform.
Where possible please stick to plain joggers and leggings. Try to avoid those with large logos and fashion activewear.
We appreciate that many families will already have purchased uniform items not included in the list above e.g grey trousers, skirts etc. This is absolutely fine. We do not want families to incur any additional expense. Pupils should continue to wear the uniform that has been purchased. Only when you get to a natural point of buying a new uniform do you move to the list above. No child will be deprived of education over their school uniform.
Badged unform providers are:
SET Schoolwear: https://www.schoolwearscotland.com/
School Wear Made Easy: https://www.schoolwearmadeeasy.com/badged-school-uniform/a-d/b/bishopton-primary-school
DB Leisure: https://www.facebook.com/dbleisureworld/
Grants for footwear and clothing for children are available to parents receiving certain benefits. Please see the council’s website:
We also have access to the Uniform Bank and other sources of school uniform. If you require any support with uniform please do not hesitate to get in touch with us on 0300 300 0147