New batch of trout eggs for the Sanday School

trout ova tank hatching
First check on the new ova!

Sanday received their ova on Monday morning and I’m glad to say that in spite of gale force winds and a rather bumpy flight on the small Islander plane, the ova completed their journey in very good condition.

When the first team of monitors went to check the tank this morning, there were no casualties. Accompanied by Irene at break-time, Charlie, Fraser and Sam checked that the pump was working, recorded air and water temperature (5ΒΊC), Β checked for dead eggs and noticed that most ova already showed signs of life as their eyes are clearly visible.

Let’s hope that the success rate is as high this year as it was during “Troot in the Shed 2013”!

Hopefully, we’ll hear from Mrs Muir’s class shortly on this blog! πŸ˜‰

Mr P.

7 thoughts on “New batch of trout eggs for the Sanday School”

1. Hello from Sanday.

We are pleased to report that there have been no casualties, so far. Primary Seven had a good look today and all the eggs seem to be perfectly happy in their new home πŸ™‚

2. Very quick response Mrs Muir! And great news too!
    Keep up the good work folks and make sure the shed stays cold and dark! πŸ˜‰
    Mr P.

3. Hi! I can’t wait until It’s my turn to see the ova! I love seeing the little alevins swim around the tank! I hope we don’t have many casualties this year! πŸ™‚

4. I’m in Primary Five so haven’t done this project before. I think it’s really
    fun. So far there have been no dead eggs, which is lucky! I hope all the eggs hatch and survive. πŸ™‚

5. No sign of hatching yet on Sanday? Shouldn’t be long as they’ve all hatched on Stronsay and Hoy which have their tanks in the same type of locations…
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Mr P.