jump to navigation

Hatching has started on Sanday! February 17, 2012

Posted by Mr Pietri in : Alevins, Sanday , trackback

Day-old brown trout alevin (17/02/12)

Sanday’s underway, only 2 or 3 days after Stronsay and Kirkwall Grammar. Only a few alevins had hatched by this morning, including the star of the show: Trevor the Trout (named by Kacey, Sam and Dennis) and easily recognisable with his orange yolk-sac and golden eyes ;-)…

These little guys will have a peaceful long week-end and by Tuesday, when we remove the mesh frame, we should see Trevor’s brothers and sisters crawling amongst the gravel.

Comments »

1. Kacey (Sanday School) - February 18, 2012

yes i can’t wait to see the little brothers and sisters of Trevor

2. Dunstan(Sanday School) - February 18, 2012

The alviens are here on sanday and i hope they survive

3. Bryony (sanday school) - February 20, 2012

They’re Doing Great! I wonder what We could Call All his Sisters and Brothers!:)Haha! I dont Want This To End! Its Very Fun!!!

4. Mr Pietri - February 21, 2012

Hi everybody,
Today I was already planning to add a new post with a picture of the Sanday alevins crawling about the bottom of the tank…
However, when I visited the mini-hatchery this morning, poor lonely Trevor was STILL the only one to have made it out of its egg :-( ! All the other ova were still sitting on the mesh, quite healthy but waiting for a better day…
There was also a suspicious oily film on the surface and Claire and I managed to remove most of it with paper towels…
Let us know if anything happens later on in the week.

5. Kristen Muir - February 22, 2012

Hello – Kyle, Frideswide and Ruth were out checking the tank today. We can report that Trevor must be hiding in the gravel, and we have one very active egg. We’ve called her Tilly The Trier Troot! She will hopefully hatch soon. The oily film on the water doesn’t seem to be back.

6. Mr Pietri - February 22, 2012

Hello Kristen,
Thanks for letting us know. Hope Tilly TTT makes it out of its shell quickly and joins her older brother Trevor TT…
It’s good news about the oily film.
Hope the hatching process picks up speed a bit!