24 thoughts on ““Troot in the shed””

1. Thanks for the update Craig! Glad you’re keeping an eye on the water temperature. We should be ok at 10.4C though. Weather is supposed to get colder again by mid-week!(Water temp was 8.5C this morning on Hoy).
    As long as there’s no casualties, what more can we ask!
    Mr. P.

2. still no dead eggs, i think we need more water but the eggs are really well developed so there might be some hatched next week.

3. Hi Craig,
    You’re probably right about the water needing topped up. And also, I’m pretty sure we should see some alevins by next week, at the latest! I wouldn’t be surprised if they started hatching by tomorrow.
    It’ll be interesting to see which ova hatch first: the Hoy ones or the Stronsay ones. In theory, it should be Stronsay as the water temperature is 2 to 3 degrees higher, but we’ll see… This is the stage the Hoy ova are at (27/01):
    https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/or/TrootintheShed/files/2011/01/101_2151.jpg

4. Hi Mr Pietri,
    the eggs are ok and i’m pretty sure some will hatch before or on monday, but when i went to check the fish after school, i had a look at the pump and it wasn’t working, the plug had half slipped out of the extension lead socket so we might have to watch for that happening again!

5. Excellent job Craig! That’s why it’s so important to check as often as we can, even if you would think nothing can really go wrong… If you hadn’t plugged the pump back and had it been left off all week-end, the whole project would probably have gone “belly up”…

6. hi, getting slightly impatient, the eggs still haven’t hatched. But everything is fine but the box had been taken off sometime during the weekend or on friday night and left off until this morning.

7. Just to reassure you Craig, the ova on Hoy haven’t hatched yet either! I think we need to put up a wee sign on the tank or on the box to remind people how important it is to keep the ova in the dark. Could you do that tomorrow if you have a spare minute?

8. Hi Mr Pietri, still none hatched and i think theres less eyed ova than before, i dont think there going to hatch.

9. That’s getting a bit worrying indeed… They really should have hatched by now. Maybe there’s been too much daylight getting in? On Hoy, the shed is pretty much blacked out, so it’ll be interesting to see what happens there. I’ll post a comment on Thursday. I’ll also try and pop in at the hatchery to see the state of the ova there.
    Enjoy your holidays!
    Mr.P

10. hi Mr Pietrimost of the eggs have hatched, 4 had died and a lot have been trapped at the bottom and are swimming like mad! and there is also alot of bubbles and something that looks like mould.

11. Thanks for your posts guys!
    I was beginning to lose faith! The cold conditions earlier on in December and January must have slowed down the whole process. I’m chuffed you managed to witness some ova hatching! Brilliant! We’ll need to free the alvins caught under the mesh and add some gravel to make it feel more like home! See you tomorrow.
    Mr.P

12. Hi Craig,
    I’ve uploaded a few weblinks on our AFYD Glow Group so that the others can access the information too. A good idea to get accurate information would be to try this link:
    http://www.graylingsociety.org/
    Go to “Contact us” and send them a wee message. You could then quote the source of your information in your Work Journal and it would look really good!

13. hi, could you give me links for coregonus lavaretus please, i am on my last question but the internet is not helping me at the moment.
    ta

14. Hi Craig,
    I’m glad you’re using the latin name, so that we know exactly what species we’re talking about. I’ll look for useful links and will email them to you. Check your mail by 9:15pm.
    See you d’morn!
    Mr.P

15. hi, everything fine, fish are getting really big compared to when they hatched. in the morning the water temp was down to 8.1degrees. and can you print off another sheet please because we are running out of space on our last sheet.
    ta

16. Hi Craig! Good to hear it’s all fine on Stronsay and I’m not surprised about the water temperature… Get ready to break the ice by Saturday! I’ve emailed Linda a record sheet and she’ll have it printed for you tomorrow morning. You just need to pop in at the office.
    If anything new happens, send a message!
    Also, have a look at the pictures of our alevins by clicking on the links below.
    Cheers,
    Mr.P

https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/or/TrootintheShed/files/2011/03/alevin23days-1.jpg
    https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/or/TrootintheShed/files/2011/03/alevin23days-2.jpg

17. hi Mr Pietri, can you tell me your email adress please, i have done my work journal but i had to save it on the desktop file instead of the glow file for the Q6 to be saved and i didnt do that last time. ta

18. How very interesting. I wish I had learned some useful things like this when I was at school.
    Eating trout will never be the same again now that I have been enlightened!
    Well done Mr Pietri. I am sure that many parents would be impressed with the pupils work too.

Wonder how many trout fisherman have ever heard the story of how their fish started out in life?

Keep up the good work everyone.

Lawrence

19. hi mr p, somebody forgot to put the lid on on friday and 67 have died, but arna said the box lid was still on at 3:30 on friday so we dont know who it was!

20. Thanks Craig for letting me know. I hope there won’t be too many casualties overnight… I fear the worst as the water quality is probably pretty poor by now. We’ll do a total water change tomorrow and hopefully, we’ll keep them going until Wednesday. Would be such a shame so near the release date…