Overtown Primary School

David Livingstone Centre

003

Today Primary 5/4 went on a visit to the David Livingstone Centre in Blantyre. Here, they participated in a guided tour around the museum and experienced an African objects handling session. They had an excellent time and discovered even more facts about David Livingstone.

The guide said he was amazed by the prior knowledge of the children. They were also complimented on their behaviour throughout the trip. Well done Primary 5/4.

Here are some of their comments about the trip:

Ziad: “I really enjoyed going to the David Livingstone Centre because they taught me stuff that I didn’t know. For example, the tools David Livingstone used to navigate around Africa were extremely big.”

Isla: “I enjoyed going in the dark room because I knew lots of the answers and the guide said he could leave us in charge of the tour. P4 rule!”

Jennifer: “I liked the David Livingstone Centre because we got to have a closer look at all of the stuff that he used.”

Jake: “I liked the David Livingstone Centre because they showed us skin made into blankets.”

Grace: “I enjoyed the David Livingstone Centre because we got to experience handling real African objects.”

Jodi: “I enjoyed the David Livingstone Centre. My favourite part was being in the dark room because all the scenes that happened in David Livingstone’s life lit up and we got to hear the story.”

Zara: “I enjoyed the David Livingstone Centre because I got to see real African objects. This will be an experience that I’ll remember forever.”

Karen: “I really enjoyed the David Livingstone Centre because we got a tour of Shuttle Row and we got to see some different artefacts from Africa. It was very fun and a good experience.”

Marie: “We all enjoyed the David Livingstone Centre and we hope to go back to it.”

Emma M: “I liked the David Livingstone Centre because I enjoyed listening to Phyllis when she told the story about a journalist who put back together a newspaper article which David Livingstone had written on.”

Drew: “I enjoyed the David Livingstone Centre because I learned a little more about David Livingstone and what life in Africa would have been like.”

Lauren: “I really enjoyed seeing the different artefacts from David Livingstone’s life. I enjoyed learning about David Livingstone’s son, Robert, and how he didn’t like school and used to run away! He was eventually found in America with a new identity but carrying a photograph of himself.”

Craig: “I really enjoyed going round the tour of Shuttle Row and I wasn’t scared of the statues.”

Emma T: “I enjoyed the David Livingstone Centre because in the dark room I learned that David Livingstone’s helpers built a straw house for him when he was ill. David Livingstone was found praying at his bed when he passed away.”

Ryan: “I enjoyed going into David Livingstone’s house.”

Kyle: “I enjoyed the David Livingstone Centre because I saw a big massive lion statue and cool African hunting weapons.”

Chloe: “I enjoyed learning some things about David Livingstone. For example, Henry Stanley came to Africa to find David Livingstone to write a report on him.”

Morgan: “I really enjoyed our trip to the David Livingstone Centre. It was really fun because we got to go in to David Livingstone’s real house. I wouldn’t like to live there.”

004 006 013 014 016 021 022 024 025 026 027 030 031 033 038 040 041 044 046 047 048 049 054 055 056 057 058 059 060 061 062