Across the Barricades by Joan Lingard

A poignant love story set in Belfast during the Troubles. Kevin is Catholic. Sadie is Protestant. In Belfast they are supposed to be enemies – so what chance do they have when they fall in love?

Pupils…
  • Participated in class discussion and debate
  • Researched relevant historical, political and geographical information
  • Wrote an Imaginative Letter

4 thoughts on “Across the Barricades by Joan Lingard

1. I enjoyed reading about Across The Barricades because i never knew that people who are sworn enemies would come together and fall in love like Kevin and Sadie

2. I enjoyed this play as we got to act out and we also learnt more about the war in ireland and how religion was a big deal in the 1970s. its still quite bad as i have a rangers season ticket and at rangers games both fans sing sectarian songs about each others religion. even the players some times start fighting with one another. right back to the topic I mostly enjoyed the role play bit as it was fun to watch others make mistakes as well as them watching us.

3. That was a very interesting post Jason! You have obviously understood how the theme of the play is relevant in Scottish society today. I’m glad you enjoyed the role-play – I think you were all very supportive of each other so that when people made mistakes they were able to to relax and laugh at themselves!