North Ayrshire Climate Voices

North Ayrshire Climate Voices is a competition open to all North Ayrshire education settings. It provides an opportunity for learners aged 3 to 18 to report on environmental issues important to them, or local actions that are tackling biodiversity loss, climate change or pollution.

Winners and shortlisted entries will be shown at an exhibition in the North Ayrshire Heritage Museum and will be made available to local elected members of the council.

The competition is designed as a local complement to the Keep Scotland Beautiful ‘Young Reporters for the Environment’ competition which is open to young people aged 11 – 25 years. Schools who would like to enter their pupils into this competition should ensure they meet the entry requirements for the Keep Scotland Beautiful Young Reporters for the Environment competition.

Entry content: Entries should report on a local climate, biodiversity or pollution issue or positive action.

Entry format: Entries can be in the form of a short video or a written article. Pupils of all age groups are invited to take part, with prizes for first place winners awarded in the following age  groups; early and first level, second and third level and senior phase.

Entries from Early and First level learners could focus on positive actions they are involved in or are taking place on the school grounds.  Entries from older learners should include an element of research and include quotes or statistics they have learned from their research or live lessons.

Live Lessons: A number of live lessons to support the competition will take place between October 2024 and February 2025. For each theme of climate, biodiversity and pollution, the live lesson will outline the issue and also detail local actions that are taking place to tackle the issue.

Dates for these live lessons will be published in August 2024. 

The lessons will provide young people with opportunities to question experts and include their informed and unbiased knowledge in their competition entries.

These live lessons will be pitched for second and third level learners, it is expected that younger learners will report on their own positive actions or issues taking place in the school grounds. Senior phase learners are expected to complete their own research.

Deadline:  Staff should send an email to STEM@north-ayrshire.gov.uk by 5:00pm on the 4th of April 2025 with a link from which pupils entries can be downloaded.

Curriculum Mapping: The competition runs from August until April 4th 2025 to provide as much opportunity as possible to include the competition in teaching and learning during the year.

The following subject areas have strong links to the themes of the competition, in addition to digital literacy and listening and talking outcomes.

CfE Level Theme
Climate Biodiversity Pollution
Early SCN 0-01a: I have observed living things in the environment over time and am becoming aware of how they depend on each other. SOC 0-08a: I explore and appreciate the wonder of nature within different environments and have played a part in caring for the environment.

TCH 0-06a: To help care for the environment, I reduce, re-use and recycle the resources I use

First SOC 1-12b: By exploring climate zones around the world, I can compare and describe how climate affects living things. SCN 1-02a: I can explore examples of food chains and show an appreciation of how animals depend on each other for food. SOC 1-08a: I can consider ways of looking after my school or community and can encourage others to care for their environment.

TCH 1-06a: I can take appropriate action to ensure conservation of materials and resources, considering the impact of my actions on the environment.

SCN 1-20a: I have contributed to discussions of current scientific news items to help develop my awareness of science.
Second SCN 2-04b: Through exploring non-renewable energy sources, I can describe how they are used in Scotland today and express an informed view on the impacts for their future use.

SCN 2-02a: I can use my knowledge of the interactions and energy flow between plant and animals in ecosystems, food chains and webs. I have contributed to the design and conservation of a wildlife area. SCN 2-03a: I have collaborated in the design of an investigation into the effects of fertilisers on the growth of plants. I can express an informed view of the risks and benefits of their use.
SOC 2-08a: I can discuss the environmental impact of human activity and suggest ways in which we can live in a more environmentally responsible way.

TCH 2-06a: I can analyse how lifestyles can impact on the environment and Earth’s resources and can make suggestions about how to live in a more sustainable way.

TCH 2-07a: I can make suggestions as to how individuals and organisations may use technologies to support sustainability and reduce the impact on our environment.

SCN 2-20b: I can report and comment on current scientific news items to develop my knowledge and understanding of topical science.

Third SCN 3-04b: By investigating renewable energy sources and taking part in practical activities to harness them, I can discuss their benefits and potential problems.

SCN 3-05b: I can explain some of the processes which contribute to climate change and discuss the possible impact of atmospheric change on the survival of living things.

SCN 3-05b: I can explain some of the processes which contribute to climate change and discuss the possible impact of atmospheric change on the survival of living things. TCH 3-08a: I can identify the costs and benefits of using technologies to reduce the impact of our activities on the environment and business.
  SOC 3-08a: I can identify the possible consequences of an environmental issue and make informed suggestions about ways to manage the impact.
Fourth SCN 4-04b: Discusses, following research, the formation and use of fossil fuels and the need to use remaining fossil fuel resources responsibly, for example, to preserve finite supplies, limit pollution and reduce emissions of greenhouse gases.

SCN 4-05b: Through exploring the carbon cycle, I can describe the processes involved in maintaining the balance of gases in the air, considering causes and implications of changes in the balance.

SCN 4-01a: I understand how animal and plant species depend on each other and how living things are adapted for survival. I can predict the impact of population growth and natural hazards on biodiversity.

SCN 4-03a: Through investigating the nitrogen cycle and evaluating results from practical experiments, I can suggest a design for a fertiliser, taking into account it’s environmental impact.

SCN 4-20b: Having selected themes of topical interest, I can critically analyse the issues, and use relevant information to develop an informed argument.

SOC 4-09a: Having evaluated the role of agriculture in the production of food and raw material, I can draw reasoned conclusions about the environmental impacts and sustainability.

SOC 4-10a: I can develop my understanding of the interaction between humans and the environment by describing and assessing the impact of human activity on an area.

SOC 4-12a: I can identify threats facing the main climate zones, including climate change, and analyse how these threats impact on the way of life.

SOC 4-12b: I can carry out a geographical enquiry to assess the impact and possible outcomes of climate change on a selected region and can propose strategies to slow or reverse the impact.

TCH 4-06a: I can examine a range of materials, processes or design in my local community to consider their environmental. Social and economic impact.

Award Criteria:
1 winner will be awarded in each age group.
The criteria judges will use to decide on a winner will be published here in August 2024.