Subject Choice @MILNE'S HIGH SCHOOL

S3 German

What is the course?

The S3 German course aims to build your confidence in understanding and using German. It will help you to understand longer and more complex texts in addition to allowing you to speak and write at greater length with increasing accuracy. Alongside gaining cultural knowledge, you will also have a better understanding of the value of being multilingual in a globalised wold.

How will I learn?

You will learn through a range of activities. There will be opportunities to work as a class as well as individually, in pairs/groups.  We aim to make this fun and interactive to help you develop your literacy and communication skills in German. You will be actively engaged in a wide variety of projects and activities in class. You will also have the opportunity to use ICT to research Germany and Scotland as tourist destinations.

What topics will I learn?

• Technology
  • Travel: Destination Germany
  • Tourism: describing a Scottish city of my choice
  • Healthy Lifestyle
  • Film study

As part of the BGE, your S3 personalisation will help you build the knowledge and skills required to progress and succeed in the Senior Phase. Following on from S3 German, you will be able to progress onto Nationals in German (National 5-Higher). You could also pick up your French again in the Senior Phase or choose to try another language, such as Spanish, Mandarin or Italian, via YASS modules in S6.

What skills are developed?

Of course learning a language helps to further develop your communication skills, however, it also develops a multitude of skills which will help you in the workplace or further learning, these include:

• Interpersonal skills
  • ICT skills
  • Problem solving skills

In fact, being able to speak another language is an essential skill in today’s global society.

How will I be assessed?

You will have the opportunity to complete units of N4 German in S3 and you will sit assessments at various points in the year.

What might this help me with when I leave school?

Being able to speak another language gives you a competitive edge when applying for jobs or further study. Language skills open up a whole world of travel, work and study opportunities.