Subject Choice @MILNE'S HIGH SCHOOL

S3 Biology

What is the course?

Biology is the study of living organisms and their environment.  As both environmental and conservation issues become more important this course allows you to begin studying more about both humans and our environment.  In this course not only will you learn about Biology but you will also gain important skills such as:

• applying knowledge and understanding of Biological facts and ideas
  • problem solving and analytical skills
  • practical (experimental) skills
  • observing
  • making conclusions
  • research skills
  • group work skills

You should choose S3 Biology if you are achieving Silver or Gold level in S2 Biology topics or Gold level in S2 Science.

How will I learn?

• whole class direct teaching opportunities
  • practical work
  • individual research
  • group research

What topics will I learn?

• Cell Biology
  • Multicellular organisms
  • Life on Earth

As part of the BGE, your S3 personalisation will help build the knowledge and skills required for a successful senior phase.  Completing the S3 Biology course supports progression to National Biology Courses (National 4-Advanced Higher) along with developing essential skills used in many other subjects.

What skills are developed?

The course is intended to develop skills that will help you to study Science in the future, as well as skills that will be helpful in other subjects and beyond school:

• Numeracy – calculations
  • Literacy – reading, researching, scientific report writing and learning new vocabulary
  • Practical scientific skills carrying out experiments
  • Group work skills

How will I be assessed?

Your progress on the course will be assessed through a combination of continuous and end of unit assessment.  There are opportunities for N4 unit completion throughout the course.

What might this help me with when I leave school?

Completing this course will help build the skills and knowledge for many biology and science related courses (college and university) and careers.