Encouraging Play- 18th January 2021

The first post for my new-look blog!

This time round I work as a teacher of ASN and ASFL so things are very different. I have created a profile for each of the pupils in our department which includes initial observations about;

• Their personal skills ( based on the Moray Skills Framework)
  • Their sensory sensitivities
  • Their usual types of play- referring to the 16 types of play identified by Bob Hughes and fully explained by Play Scotland in their toolkit.

As well as general information about their strengths, interests, difficulties etc.

From now on our outdoor learning will focus on building personal skills, play work and mini child-led IDL projects.

Yesterday we went out to play and encouraged the two pupils who were with us to try different types of play.  We all had a great time. D (ASD) normally simply chooses to play by himself with a stick but by the end he had chased, pretended to be a lion, helped build a bridge, joined in with a throwing game, played puddle-jumping and made many attempts to balance on things.

A is unable to speak but had successfully used new signs to ask D to help him build a bridge. A loves chasing games but his peers don’t usually want to join in. Today we all played and A was just delighted!