Energy Cycles- 11th May

Today we learned about energy cycles. First we discussed what ‘energy’ is then I  explained that Newton ( we remembered that he thought of gravity etc) said that energy is never lost, it just changes to a different form. I showed the children a set of cards which depict an energy chain;

sun ( heat and light ) > grass > cow eats grass as fuel and grows > we eat meat > we have energy to play/ movement > we emit heat > plants use heat to grow etc.

We discussed different chains involving fossil fuels then the children made a barrier/ collected fuel and we set a fire. I lit the fire using a flint and steel and whilst I was doing that the children went off to make pictures of energy chains on the ground. Once the fire was going well I left someone in charge and we went to view the chains. Everyone had depicted the same chain so after viewing a few I set a challenge. The children had to work with a their poster partner to make a chain that depicted the energy cycle of the fuel they have been researching e.g. renewable and non- renewable energy sources. These pictures were much better and the discussion far more valuable.

We then toasted marshmallows and discussed the energy chain for the fire. I had used porridge as  my fuel so that I could use the striker to make heat energy etc.

After toasting the marshmallows the children just wanted to sit/ lie in the sun around the fire so we made up a nonsense story.

Back in class I asked the children to draw a picture showing the fire energy cycle.