Using our maps – 12th May

Things we would like to learn in the woodsToday the children worked in their trios and used one of their own maps to create some treasure hunt questions for another class. They were asked to write 4 fig grid refs for at least 5 easily identifiable places on their maps. They then had to write a question for each place – for example, how many bars are in the gate? The children really enjoyed this and I was able to see how well they understood the map grid reference system. Unfortunately our photo-copier wasn’t working and in hind-site I should have laminated the chosen maps because it began to rain and most of the maps deteriorated. I will now need to laminate them if another class is to use them. I had wanted the groups to swap their maps and questions but it was too damp so we made transient art pictures which the children really enjoyed.

Before going to the woods I asked the children what they would like to learn there in the future. I was very impressed with their ideas – all were very sensible and referred to the learning. I am inspired and will use their ideas. I am glad that I didn’t ask the children too early on in our programme as they now clearly understand that there is always a learning intention behind each of our lessons. Their ideas are attached.