Tuesday 14th April – mapping one

P1040601P1040602Today we learned to draw ‘bird’s eye view’ plans – starter maps. Our aim is to map the woods.

After an introduction the children worked in trios to design a picture on the floor using a frame , 5 objects and an up arrow. They then each drew plans of the picture – including a ‘this way up’ arrow. The plans were handed to me and I wrote a letter on the back then recorded the name of the mapper, next to the relevant letter, on a separate sheet. When everyone was finished I muddled up the plans then handed them out. Each child (some drew plans in pairs so they worked together) then had to match the plan they had been given with the correct picture. 95% of the plans were good enough for the children to be able to identify the correct picture.

Next time- take  a better photo!

moving onto plans of the whole woods.

I showed the children a compass – introduction to using north. Hardly anyone remembered their outdoor clothes today and two children couldn’t come because they had silly shoes on no-one had any the correct size to lend them/ lost property.