Masters and Champions

Moray Art Centre  

Masters and Champions  
Forres Area Primary Schools 

Moray Art Centre’s exhibition ‘Masters and Champions’ brought the London 2012 celebrations to Moray this summer, having been awarded the coveted Inspire Mark London 2012 badge, and receiving financial support from The Big Lottery and Creative Scotland. 
There were new opportunities to inspire young people and encourage school participation in art and sport activities. A broad programme – spanning sport, education, art and culture was created. 
Moray Art Centre commissioned Elemental Community Arts to work with five primary schools in the Forres area. Children were given instruction and assistance in making their very own Ancient Greek carnival costume. P5, 6 and P7 students from Dyke PS, Kinloss PS, Andersons, Pilmuir and Applegrove Primary schools were then invited to take part in the Scottish Week opening carnival parade (wearing their costume!). All participating schools were invited to visit the ‘Masters and Champions’ exhibition, and thanks to support from Creative Scotland Moray Art Centre were able to provide a free bus to bring children to the exhibition. During their exhibition visit students participated in arts activities as well as were given a guided tour of the exhibition by the Education Manager for Moray Art Centre, Gill Bird. Finally, teachers were provided with a Masters and Champions Education Pack,  packed with further information about the exhibition and Classic Greece and several activity ideas that teachers could do with their class. 

How did this project link with the Curriculum for Excellence?  

-Expressive Arts
– Art and Design:
I have the opportunity to choose and explore an extended range of media and technologies to create images, comparing and combining them for specific tasks. EXA 2-02a
I can create and present work that shows developing skill in using the visual elements and concepts. EXA 2-03
I can respond to the work of artists and designers by discussing my thoughts and feelings. EXA 2-07a
Religious and Moral Education:
I am developing my understanding of how my own and other’s beliefs and values affect their actions. RME 2-09d
Social Studies:
I can compare and contrast a society in the past with my own and contribute to a discussion of the similarities and differences.
SOC 2-04a