Lockdown: A time to reflect.

Shower ” by Lucy Kelly

Hey, you’ll never guess what I’ve done. I showered today! It might not a big deal to you but it is for me. What’s so special about a shower? New bathroom? New shampoo perhaps?

What could possibly make that exciting?

Well, to me, it’s a symbol of progress. During the first month, everything was chaos and uncertainty. The second was when my energy started drifting away. By the third month, I couldn’t get out of bed.
It had all suddenly caught up with me, the loneliness and emptiness, the isolation. I slept all day and stared at the ceiling all night.
what’s the point?
I can’t do anything right, I can’t even get myself dressed. I’m done. I  give up.
Then something strange happened.
A beam of light in the form of a text message. A picture to be exact. It was me, I was smiling stood In front of a building with the words ” HAPPINESS…. IS A POINT OF VIEW” plastered across it.
I couldn’t shake those words from my mind that night. Was I really in charge, could I really decide how my life would go?
I woke the next morning and got out of bed for the first time in three days.

By that Friday I got properly dressed for the first time in a fortnight.

You know, that sign was right. Happiness is a point of view. A point of view that starts with you taking care of yourself, and if that means forcing yourself to get up, showered and dressed then that’s what you do.
So, you’ll never guess what I’m doing tomorrow.
I’m going for a shower.