Thought for the Week

After visiting an elderly family friend, I realised that in a world of new connectivity people are being left behind. We have social media such as Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat or Instagram. We have all of these things yet there are people who are still disconnected from society.

For example the woman me and my family visited, she has Facebook but no one has shown her how to use it! Imagine having nobody to talk to for hours on end every single day, and thinking no one wants to visit because you have trouble hearing.

“It just goes to show that with the right help, people can overcome loneliness and reconnect with society”

You can’t go anywhere because your legs don’t work anymore, being alone with all of those thoughts. Then imagine how happy you would feel if someone came to visit you once in a while, imagine how much impact we could make if we tried harder to care for our senior citizens. Doing things like helping them work technology getting them a newspaper heck even just sitting down and having a chat could help so much with the mental health of the elderly citizens in our society.

I interviewed a fellow pupil and she had this to say ‘My gran was in her house on her own with nobody to talk to so she fell into a depression, but with the help of the doctor me and my family’s support she was able to overcome her depression and become a more sociable and happy person’.

It just goes to show that with the right help, people can overcome loneliness and reconnect with society.