The Virtues of Teaching

Integrity

Our job as teachers is to act as role models, from whom the children will acquire these morals and values from. Children are not born with integrity, it’s something they learn, and learning it in the classroom will benefit the children greatly throughout their lives.

Patience

When a teacher displays patience, it allows the children to see how to behave it sometimes difficult or compromising circumstances. In a primary school classroom, things can go wrong, or test us, so being patient and calm will enable us to think straight, clearly and teach and control the class efficiently.

Respect

It’s important that while teaching the children the importance of respecting their teacher, that we also respect every child, despite any factors that may effect your relationship with them. Remaining professional and taking the time to listen to the pupils and consider their thoughts and feelings.

Fairness

Equality in the classroom is key to a healthy, happy learning environment. This is probably the most important virtue to me. I believe all children should be made to feel special, and no one above anybody else. The detrimental impact this can have on pupils, lessons and learning overall can be devastating to the progress of the class. I have seen it happen in my time at school, where pupils have lacked the same preferential treatment others had, and therefore behaviour and work ethic has deteriorated. As I teacher, I aim to never put any child in that situation.

Honesty

Honesty works hand in hand with trust. Through experience, I have seen that if you gain your pupils’  trust, they will open up to you. Teaching children that ‘honesty is the best policy’ from a young age will help them enormously throughout their time in school, and life. It’s an invaluable life lesson.