What it Means to be an Enquiring Practitioner

Being an enquiring practitioner requires much more than being able to learn the skills and methods of enquiry. As a teacher, to be a enquiring practitioner you need to be able to develop your ideas and knowledge of teaching. Be able to question and challenge new ideas which will allow you to continuously develop and learn. An enquiring practitioner is one who can learn from critical research and is constantly adapting their teaching ways. This way they can put these new skills into practice in the classroom and again learn from experience what works well and not so well. It is also important for an enquiring practitioner to be flexible; they must be adaptive and open to change.

Being an enquiring practitioner has benefits and challenges. Firstly, it gives teachers a useful way to monitor their own practice. By constantly challenging themselves and asking critical questions such as: ” What is the purpose of this?”, ” What impact is it having?”, ” Is it beneficial to my teaching?” They can improve the quality of their teaching and this in turn will impact the children’s learning.  It also allows them to continuously develop new strategies and can enhance their self – esteem and professional identity as it enables them to make more professional judgements. Very importantly, it allows them to make crucial changes to the curriculum and provide the best learning environment for the children.

As said, there are still some disadvantages to this practice. A enquiry made at one school may not have the same beneficial effect in a different school. As a result this method is said to be “situationally unique”.  Also, enquiries that are made to just prove practices or find methods that “work best” that have not been explored sufficiently can be said to be superficial.

3 thoughts on “What it Means to be an Enquiring Practitioner

1. This piece is extremely well written and it is clear that you have researched the topic well. I especially like where you list the questions teachers could ask themselves. This provides a clear and simple way that teachers can engage with practitioner enquiry. The only thing I can suggest to improve the piece would be to reflect on how it effects you as a student teacher. In spite of that, it is a very good piece, well done. 🙂

Reply
  2. You have described really well what an enquiring practitioner is and I particularly like how you have incorporated the positive and negative aspects aswell as a very detailed describtion of what an enquiring practitioner actually consists of.

I agree with Emma in saying that I feel that you could possibly describe more how being an enquiring practitioner would effect you as a student teacher in and out with the classroom.

Apart from that, it is a very good piece 🙂
    Skye X

Reply
  3. I really like this piece of writing. It shows that you have looked in to this topic area and puts across to readers in a very simplistic manner – addressing the benefits and challenges in a way that is easy for all to understand.
    I particularly like the challenges that you have described. These are challenges that I never thought too much about but that have now got me thinking much more about what I will write.
    Like Emma and Skye the only piece of advice i could offer would be to make this piece more personal to you.
    Good job!! 🙂

Reply