What it means to be an enquiring practitioner

An enquiring practitioner is one that finds out or investigates in order to enhance their own practice. It is important to be reflective and evaluate your own practice to further ideas and experiences. I feel that it is important to be an enquiring practitioner as it is beneficial to further your knowledge both independently and by working collaboratively as part of a team.

Practitioner enquiry is beneficial to teachers as it encourages teachers to transform education and the way they teach which i feel is very important as teachers should make their teaching their own and make their classes fun and interesting. Also, being an enquiring practitioner allows teachers to expand their knowledge and also helps them to monitor and develop their practice.

Being an enquiring practitioner should lead to transformative learning and should allow you to critically think about their own values, assumptions and educational beliefs, which may change regularly depending on who you work with collaboratively, as opinions may be influenced.

4 thoughts on “What it means to be an enquiring practitioner”

1. Hi Amy 🙂 I think this is a good post as it is relatively short yet meets the given criteria. I like how you have related the importance of being an enquiring practitioner to the teaching profession. I also agree with many of the points you have made, especially that practitioner enquiry can transform learning. Your blog posts are all very interesting and I really enjoy reading them 🙂

2. Hi Amy, I think you’ve summed up really well what it means to be an enquiring practitioner. I really like how you’ve mentioned that through practitioner enquiry you should be striving to make classes more fun for the students – this is something that hasn’t been mentioned in any of the posts I’ve read and I completely agree with it! One critique I would mention is that to fulfil the success criteria you could have included some challenges involved in practitioner enquiry. I didn’t go into great detail in my blog post either as I wasn’t sure but maybe that’s something to look in to?

3. Hi Amy! I loved this piece of writing and throughly enjoyed reading it! I completely agree with all your benefits to teachers; but the only thing that would have been good to include would have been some challenges which people face within your post!

4. I think you have covered all the main points and have a deep understanding of what an Enquiring Practitioner is and i enjoyed reading your outlook on this concept. You have explained why it is important and beneficial for teachers which i found helpful to relate to however have you thought about any challenges that may occur regarding teachers also?