Climate Change

Sustainable Development- Blog 2 (Climate Change)

Week 3

We were introduced to the theme of:

There can be confusion about the exact definition of ‘climate change.’ In simple terms- when referring to climate change- it is when we are discussing a period of weather at a specific point in the year. Furthermore, when the weather doesn’t remain consistent (usually climate change is mentioned for periods longer than 30 years). Climate change incorporates a wide range of areas, for example:

• Fossil Fuels
  • Greenhouse gases
  • Carbon Dioxide
  • Global warming

We discussed the ‘Greenhouse Effect’ in the lecture. This refers to the way the earths atmosphere conceals some of the energy produced from the sunlight.  Then, some solar energy is produced back to space. A small amount is absorbed by greenhouse gases and retained as heat which is then reflected in all directions to warm the planet. Without this process, the planet would be approximately 30 degrees cooler. This effect can be explained through a diagram or a video to children- encouraging multi modal texts.

I am very interested in this topic as I believe it’s so relevant in our current generation. Our planet is going to continue deteriorating unless we all make a small difference. Over the last century, the temp of our planet has risen by 0.6% mainly due to increasing emissions of carbon dioxide from man-made activities.

Agriculture:

Factory farming has a huge influence on the current situation as well as this release’s potential harmful fumes to the environment- large quantities of greenhouse gases-. Flooding could destroy crops in low lying areas. In addition, increasing temperatures in low water areas could make it more difficult to grow crops due to shortage of water, possibly encouraging pests and diseases. Strong winds can also lead to soil erosion which will interrupt the plantation process. (Compassion in world farming)

The government have tried to take action to tackle climate change, however, it requires a whole team effort (everyone.) People take part in protests all over the world to prevent climate change.

In the workshop, we completed a task collaboratively which consisted of us rearranging statements in order of importance about climate change from a politician’s perspective. If I was completing this task with my own class, I would allow them to have the independence of assigning roles to give them more freedom within their learning. Perhaps, this would inspire ideas for a debate. From completing this activity, I developed my critical thinking skills as I was having to make crucial decisions based on facts in my team to accommodate everyone’s needs.

We are all guilty of not doing all we could to prevent harm to the planet. Politics have implemented initiatives to try reduce the large amount of waste products. For example: In 2015, the ‘5p bag’ policy was implemented- every plastic bag costs 5 pence. This was to try encourage customers to use boxes or bags created from raw materials to reduce the amount large amount of plastic used causing damage to the environment. However, the process of creating a law is not simple. An MP can create a bill but this bill must pass both stages of parliament before becoming a law. There is always controversial views and opinions- this makes it difficult for everyone to agree on an idea.

Last week, me and my cohorts took part in science experiments linked to climate change. Our lecturer had set out stations for us to work around. To begin, our first activity included using one beaker of hot water from the tap and a beaker of cold water from the fridge. We also had a tank filled with room temperature water. Next, a few drops of food colouring (blue for cold and red for hot) were added to each beaker. Both beakers were placed in the tank and tipped over. What happened next amazed me. The different temperatures cause the molecules to circulate differently. The hot water remains at the top of the tank and the cold water went to the bottom. This produced a layer of red at the top and blue on the bottom. Our experiment was completed successfully- we were very precise with the advised instructions. Therefore, I can’t wait to complete this task with my own class. A minimal amount of resources were required which makes it very convenient to complete in schools.

Climate change is a reoccurring topic of conversation due to changes happening everywhere to our planet. This topic will be taught in my classroom as I am very passionate about this topic. I now have a wider understanding of what I can do to make a difference. Hopefully, I can encourage children to do the same!

BBC News (2018)  What is Climate Change [online] available:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24021772

Compassion in world farming

https://www.ciwf.org.uk/factory-farming/environmental-damage/?gclid=CjwKCAjw5_DsBRBPEiwAIEDRWxP0oeqhh_gvkENcFyvKW7gbXHXqD6LHW3kaW4_7U1lQhrD-yY952xoCXpMQAvD_BwE