Communication in an Outdoor Enviroment

This week in Situated Communications, We had a workshop which took place in wooded area beside the university. This was a workshop where communication was necessary as there was team work involved but also we had to use our communication wisely as we were in an environment that was different to previous workshops and lectures. The main task was to build and create a den in teams of 6 or 7 and use our communication skills to discuss the task within our groups but to also communicate outside of our groups through communication and presentation.

In terms of group and leadership, I personally don’t think that our group had a team leader as well all contributed our thoughts and ideas and worked together to ensure that all thoughts were taken into consideration. I think we chose this style as many of us had never worked together before and by working together without someone leading allowed us to get to know each other more and feel more comfortable in the group setting. I personally don’t feel like anyone was excluded from the group because of this method as I have previously mentioned, everyones thoughts were listened to and we all made decisions together ensuring that no one was feeling left out and to make us all as equal as possible. My challenge in this setting was that I had only really communicated with 2 or 3 of my team members and I know that sometimes I can be quite awkward and struggle to communicate in new surroundings, however I think I done quite well as I had communicated with every member within the first 5 minutes of the activity and this has made me feel more confident for future group tasks.

During this task, we were paired with another group where we had to present our den and explain our thought process and how we worked as team. While listening to the other group, I think they explained quite well as they made their main points clear which allowed us to make connections between what they were saying and the den in front of us and also they projected well in the outdoor environment. Their explanation was clear as they used volume, fluency and expression which helped me to engage into their presentation. I think the group just needed some extra preparation time as they hadn’t allowed themselves enough time to plan out their points between them and get a general plan of who was explaining which part of their den and teamwork.

In the context of the outdoor environment, our communication skills were not effected greatly as the weather was good and their was no high winds or rain, however, when using the equipment and moving twigs and logs etc. the noise could be quite loud so we had to project our conversations. When comparing to a classroom environment, we made a point about how timing would have been slightly different and also there would be more materials within the classroom which may have benefitted our creation. If the environment had been windy, I think talking would have been more difficult as the sounds would have been distracting and you would have to have a greater volume so that others could hear you well. When listening I think the environment could distract you as you may be looking at other teams and seeing their dens and also the wind or rain would be very distracting as you may want shelter and also the noises may be louder than on a sunny day.

A part of this task was to negotiate with other groups. Our group tried twice and failed both times. The first time, all groups already had all the materials that they needed and we had nothing to offer them that they wanted and it was hard to persuade them. The second time, we tried to negotiate team members help and none of the groups were needing help as it was nearing the end of the task. I think the most challenging thing about these negotiations was that there was limited materials and groups had already chosen materials which they knew were essential for their dens and that the timing of your negotiation had to be perfect as if you left it too late, teams were not willing to try and negotiate back.

Overall, I enjoyed this workshop and I feel my communications skills have benefitted greatly as I have started to become more confident when talking to others.