INTRODUCTION

WEEK 1 – 10th September 2019

This module is one that I would say I was most nervous about attending, although I always enjoyed art, the drama side didn’t appeal to me at all. However, after our first day I realised it wasn’t going to be as bad as I had first thought. I realised pretty much everyone was in the same position and I instantly felt more relaxed.

Our first lecture was mainly just an introduction to the module and all that it’s going to entail. For example, the importance of art and drama to primary children and also the links between the two areas and how that affects children’s learning and development.

We then went onto the Art seminar where we got to explore a range of art work created by primary school pupils of all ages. The main thing that stood out to me where the range of materials used to complete the art. It was clear that the younger pupils enjoyed working with colour and having more free range on what they could create. Whereas, the older pupils seemed to stick more to a couple of colours and also completed more topic based art work rather than having full range of creativity. This showed that as pupils progress through their school years, the importance of creativity is lost and everything becomes much more structured. The focus becomes on the accuracy of the final piece of art work rather than the process and personal story behind what each individual has created.

Our drama lecture was mainly focused on Improvisation and how we as teachers could use it within the classroom. We looked at methods such as Freeze Frame which is a very group led example, whereas, Hot Seating and Teacher in Role methods are more teacher led.

Generally, I feel like my first day in Integrated-Arts went really well. It has really opened my eyes up to the links between drama and visual arts, the main one being that they are great ways for children to express themselves without words.