BUZZZZIN TO PLAY BEE-BOT

img_9318

Hi! I am finally catching up on my blog post from last week before tomorrows digital technology input.

In last weeks class our first learning intention was to use a programmable toy in interdisciplinary learning contexts. Firstly we read through a presentation which allowed us to go into more depth of the benefits programmable toys have in the classroom now a days. Benefits being its an interactive learning process that involves the children and keeps them engaged in the task. This allows pupils to learn through motivation instead of being stuck reading from texts which could lead the pupils to become easily distracted. Another benefit is instant feedback is received from the learner through the use of the programmable toys and the problem solving they used to work out the task which will help the learner as well as the teacher to find out what they have learned. Programmable toys is also keeping up to date with todays society, children will be use to handling technology and will get enjoyment through this learning process.  As John Naughton, The Observer, The Guardian 31st March 2012 believes that computers used within education is forever increasing however, for the wrong reasons. He believes that children are using technology in a ‘passive’ way rather than learning how to use technology correctly. Children must learn to use the technology given in various ways over the curriculum instead of using it for fun and for non relatable links to the curriculum.

We then logged onto a very interesting website –

www.transum.org/software/logo/

This website allowed pupils to control the movement of a turtle where they had to follow instructions and direction stop try and make a certain shape. This was a very useful website for teaching pupils shapes and angles in a classroom environment. TOP TIP- always let pupils explore a website before dealing with the task, this will save time and distraction.

Our final task of the day was to work with a Bee- Bot which is a programmable toy that can be used in many lesson plans for children to control. We had to work in small groups and come up with a  lesson plan that would tie in with Curriculum for Excellence learning outcomes. My group and I decided to base our lesson plan around the book ‘This is the Bear and the Picnic Lunch’ which we would read to the class before hand. This would then settle the lesson and get the learners brains switched on. We decided our lesson would be for first learning outcome however would introduce data analysis. The learners would select what their favourite foods are and what they would take on a picnic with them, we would then select the most popular food and drink to put on our picnic rug, see picture above, which is set out like a Bee – Bot mat. The children would then have to direct the Bee- Bot to what they think the healthiest foods are and finish in the picnic basket. In the end, we would ask the pupils why they thought the foods they chose were the healthiest and why the other ones were unhealthy. I feel this lesson plan would be excellent for the topic of health and well being while involving technology. My group and I’s experiences and outcomes were as following;

• By investigating a range of foods available I can discuss how they contribute to a healthy diet. HWB1- 30a
  • I am developing problem solving strategies, navigation, and co-ordination skills as I play and learn with electronic games, remote control and programmable toys. TCH- 09a

Thank you for reading, Jill!