Maths week beginning 23/1/17

Today we started to learn about the ways in which we could teach algebra in the classroom, and I must admit, this was an area that had surprised me at first as I had not expected this to come up until at least secondary school as it had for me. However, the methods we were being taught gave me a fresh insight into how maths has developed in primary schools since i left it 8 years ago and how it continues to branch out at a younger age, showing the progress made. In the workshop, we also did symmetry which I must admit was never a strong point of my own when I was growing up and is an area that I still struggle with to some extent today. However I plan to go away and research the topic so I can have a better understanding of what it is that I will be going out and teaching, as it remains a key area in the curriculum today.