Digital technologies Week one 9/1/17

We began the new module Digital Technologies earlier today, and started off by asking what did the term really represent. This allowed me to reflect upon the many different forms that we use not only around a classroom when teaching, but in everyday aspects of life and how we take most of them for granted. In the first half of the lesson we began to establish the reflective glow blogs which I feel are an effective way to allow us to communicate how we feel about the progress we are making as we continue to work through the weeks. It is also important to comment on the fact that literacy is not all about deciphering the lines and scribbles that we can make on a page, but rather about the social acts of meaning, where meanings and practices vary extremely depending on the circumstances in which they take place (Barton and Hamilton 1998, Local literacies: reading and writing in one community). In the second half of the lesson we moved on to practicing using the active inspire. This was a good way for me to think about how it was used when i was in primary school’s not only as a child, but as a volunteer and on my own placement, and how I can use this to plan for future lessons that I will be participating in. It also allows us to think about how we can move away from older ideologies and focus more upon the idea that technology can be used as a different form of teaching the same lesson, rather than it being a visual aid for a child’s learning.