Rachael Murphy UWS ITE ePDP

Reflective Blog – Week 10

This week in Digital Technologies we learned that Minecraft can be used as a stimulus for learning.  Having no experience with Minecraft, I was very intrigued in it and how it could help me in my future career.  We were joined by some primary students which I thought was a great idea as they were able to teach us how to use it and showed us how interested and enthusiastic children are about this game.

It has been stated in an Ofcom Report (2011) that gaming is very popular in the UK.  Almost 86% of 5-7-year-old children and 90% of 8-11-year-old children using gaming devices regularly.  It also mentioned that using computer games, particularly console games, is a major part of the 21st century youth culture. 

According to Bray (2012), when games-based learning is combined with good learning and teaching it has a very transformational impact.  He also stated that in a classroom setting, games should be used as a whole new approach to learning rather than rewards or for entertainment.

As a student teacher, I think that it is important for me to keep up-to-date with technology as it is constantly advancing.  Also, I should do this because interest in the potential for play to form the basis for learning has grown considerably (Beauchamp, 2012, p.9).  In addition to this, as well as becoming familiar with games, we also must ensure that we make clear the way in which we want the game to be used (Beauchamp, 2012, p.9).  After all, achieving educational objectives through the use of game depends on the teacher’s knowledge of the area of the curriculum they are working with rather than the ability with the game (Beauchamp, 2012, p.10).

Furthermore, Beauchamp (2012) states that there are many different skills that can be developed by ICT games.  These include:

·         Strategic Thinking

·         Planning

·         Communication

·         Application of numbers

·         Negotiating Skills

·         Group decision-making

·         Data Handling Skills

I learned from the primary school pupils that Minecraft is very popular, and they clearly are very interested in it.  This made me think that if I used this game in the future then it would engage and motivate my pupils.  In fact, Minecraft is a worldwide phenomenon and has been taken to the heart of many gamers since it was first released back in 2011 (How to do Everything in Minecraft, 2014, p.3).

As a result of this lesson in Digital Technologies, I am sure I will use Minecraft in the future to allow my pupils to develop these important skills.  Below are examples of some Curriculum for Excellence Experiences and Outcomes that are appropriate for games-based learning.

“I explore and experiment with the features and functions of computer technology and I can use what I learn to support and enhance my learning in different contexts” TCH 1-04a / TCH 2-04a.

In conclusion, I thoroughly enjoyed this lesson because I think that including something that many children are very passionate in their education is going to make them feel very excited about learning and they are going to engage more in their lessons.  It is important for children to enjoy their lessons, they should be interactive and “hands-on” in order for them to learn and develop skills, such as communication skills, so they can grow into well-rounded individuals with an excellent and memorable education.

·         Beauchamp, G. (2012) ICT in the Primary Classroom: From Pedagogy top Practice. Pearson.

·         Bray, O. (2012) Playful Learning: Computer Games in Education. [Online] https://www.slideshare.net/Microsofteduk/playful-learning-computer-games-in-education [Accessed: 2.3.18] 

·         MagBook (2014) How to Do Everything in Minecraft