Mobile Devices in the Classroom – 27/02/2018

Today’s input saw us learn about the use of mobile devices in the classroom, and the benefits they can have upon both learners and teachers. Having been studying this module from the start of the year, and covered a small section of digital technologies in a previous module, I am aware of some of the resources that are used in schools such as BeeBots and Smart Boards. The resource we used today was something I hadn’t came across before – the Easi Speak Microphone. When I first got my hands on it, I wasn’t sure that I would see the need for a small recording device in the classroom, however, as the lesson went on it became more apparent how this type of technology would have its uses and linked into various curricular areas.

The Digital Learning and Teaching Strategy for Scotland conducted a survey on a total of 93 children aged between 8 and 11 years. The aim of the research was to ‘help shape the approach to digital learning and teaching in Scotland’. It was found that children noted they already had access to a large amount of varying technologies at home and in their schools. Such technologies included: computers, cameras, iPods, smart phones, gaming consoles, smart watches and tablets to name a few. It is becoming evident by this type of evidence gained via research that children are well and truly exposed and immersed in the various types of technology that surround us in our environment and that they are familiar with their purposes and uses. Furthermore, research conducted by the British Educational Suppliers Association (BESA) evidences the importance of technology in children’s education. They stated that “schools see technology such as games consoles and smartphones as playing an important role in primary-aged children’s education…” (Gurney-Read 2015). Today’s lesson allowed us to discover a new technological resource that can be used in the classroom and just one example of a way in which it enhances our young learner’s educational experiences.

The task we were given today was to create an ‘I am’ poem. This involved creating a poem of our own choice using opening lines already provided to us whilst using the Easi-Speak microphone to record sound clips from the poem. It allowed for us to be autonomous and put our creative skills to good use by writing through our own choice and basing it upon our own thoughts and feelings. The poem had to be presented on a PowerPoint presentation with copyright free images selected from a website called Pixabay. This came together as a multimodal text, as it contained sound clips, images and words along with spatial features that evidenced it to be multimodal. If this inout were to be delivered to a class there are various Experiences and Outcomes that it could cover, for example:

I can explore and experiment with digital technologies and can use what I learn to support and enhance my learning in different contexts. TCH 1-01a

Within real and imaginary situations, I share experiences and feelings, ideas and information in a way that communicates my message. LIT 0-09a

I am aware of and able to express my feelings and am developing the ability to talk about them. HWB 0-01a/1-01a/2-01a/3-01a/4-01a

As stated by Beauchamp 2012 (p.81) “…Pupils need to be equipped to view language as a ‘metamode’ that enables them to access the meanings of a wide variety of texts, images, sounds and information…” If this type of lesson were to be delivered in the classroom, it would certainly support Beauchamp’s suggestion of children viewing language as being ‘metamode’. It allows for children to see that texts come in all different shapes and sizes and not solely just printed forms such as books and textbooks.

Overall, despite my initial thoughts on today’s input being somewhat reserved, I thoroughly enjoyed learning how to use the Easi-Speak microphones and viewing the end result. It supports various learning styles for children in the classroom along with bringing an element of fun into their day. Furthermore, it also supports their technological skills along with collaboration skills whilst working with a partner or s part of a group. Fast forwarding myself into a classroom of technology experts in the coming years, I look forward to putting to good use the skills and knowledge I have gained from taking this module. It will certainly set me in good stead for a career in which I can weave the many uses of technology throughout lessons and keep my prospective pupils educational journeys fun and engaging.

Children’s Parliament (2016) A Digital Learning and Teaching Strategy for Scotland  – The Views of Children. [Online] Available at:  http://www.childrensparliament.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/REPORT_digital-learning-consultation_Childrens-Parliament-1.pdf. [First Accessed – 27/02/2018].

Beauchamp, G. (2012) ICT in the Primary School: From Pedagogy to Practice. Pearson.

Gurney-Read, J.(2015) Classroom Technology ‘rarely used’ by half of teachers. The Telegraph  [Online] 24 November 2015 [First Accessed: 28 February 2018]

Scottish Executive (2004) Curriculum for Excellence. Edinburgh: Scottish Executive