Religion, Society and Diversity

In the first lecture we learned and were introduced to what religion actually is. We were shown many definitions from different perspectives. We also learned about what sociology of religion is – it is a study of religion and how it relates to other factors of society. I also learned about the different dimensions of religion and how there are different typed of religion which all contain different concepts. Some of these were cults, sects and established religions – which all have a shared concept of their own beliefs, practices and worships.
In this lecture, I understood all the key concepts being discussed however this was after a long train of thought and open debate. I understand that there are many forms of religion, which all have their own beliefs, concepts and worships. The function of these religions vary and were discussed in the work of Bronislaw Malinowski and M.F.C. Bourdillon. Some of these functions were to deal with life crises such as health and the environment, to help people socially transition through stages in their lives such as marriage or welcoming a child, and for basic needs which Malinowski stated gives him comfort and security in a world of dangers. One concept which I struggled to comprehend was the culture aspect of religion. This was because we were presented with criticisms from Karl Marx and so I found it difficult consolidating one definition and understanding of culture in religion. Before starting this module, I had done R.M.P.S all through school and at a higher level – gaining an A1. However, after one lecture at University, I feel my knowledge has vastly improved and I have learned about the many different dimensions that religion has.