Personal audit & transferable skills

Activity 1

1. Below are a list of skills and abilities. Complete an audit of where you are now. Record this in your learning journal/portfolio.

Rate yourself (1=Not very well developed; 3=very well developed)

Skills and Abilities

1

2

3

team work  3
 listen to others  3
 self confidence  2
 creating thinking skills  2
 patience  3
 communication  3
 evaluate information  2
 organisation  3
 good enthusiam  2

Although it is important to identify where we are now, it is not enough to stop there. We need to reflect upon how we can develop the skills where we are less confident and how we can transfer the skills in which we are confident and competent.

Activity 2

Complete the audit below, using the information from the table above.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills already developed How will I use these How do I know (evidence)**
team work  I will use this when working with my colleagues, so we can keep our level of teaching at the top level that is possible, for the child’s benefit.  i play on many volleyball teams, and the only way you score points, and win is when the team is fully working together, and supporting each other.
Patients  I will use this is my classroom. You will find many different levels of intelligence, and a teacher needs to be patients in order to help each individual child to learn to the best of their abilities.  I know as when i was younger, the teachers that sat down with me and were patient with my learning, i felt more comfortable with and i wasn’t scared to get anything wrong. So because my atmosphere was relaxed i was able to progress with little stress.
Good enthusiasm  The better the enthusiasm of a teacher, the better the atmosphere in the classroom will be. I feel    that the better and more positive the atmosphere, the more a child will be able to learn and progress due to they will feel comfortable in the classroom.  Once again because i play on lots of volleyball teams, when the whole team has enthusiasm, we all enjoy ourselves a lot more, we want to do better and win!

** This section should be completed as you identify when/where/how you have used/developed these skills.

1. Managing My Learning

Activity 1

Complete the table below to identify and reflect on those factors and plan actions for each.

Recognition/ Reflection Action
What helps my learning? How can I utilise this?
Example: “Discussing the topic with others” ·             Set up a study group of like-minded peers

·             Engage with the online community

Giving myself enough time As soon as I am given an assignment, begin thinking when am I going to do this and have scheduled times
Working with others Have a study group of people you work well with, and are willing to share ideas and help each other
Planning what I am going to do before I begin Take ten minutes and a detailed plan, say if I’m writing an essay of each paragraph for the star, middle and end
Having a tick list Write a quick tick list before I begin of what I want to accomplish

Recognition/Reflection Action
What hinders my learning? How can I address this factor?
Example: “I’m easily distracted” ·             Study in a place where distractions are minimal

·             Read lecture notes before the lecture and then take notes lectures to keep me focused

Not giving myself enough time and putting everything off till last minute Plan, plan, plan, as soon as I get my essay or assignment! Plan when I will begin it straight away
Head phones in Don’t be distracted by music, tv and especially putting in head phones

Go to the library and leave the head phones behind

Mobile phone Go to the library and leave mobile at home
Procastinating Give myself a set time to get things done and have breaks in-between, help stop procrastination