Mental maths! 1, 2, 3… GO!!

In today’s input the class were learning about mental maths. Today’s learning intention was that we were learning:

• What is meant by ‘mental mathematics’ and its purpose in raising standards
  • To identify a range of mental strategies
  • About the need to develop confidence and competence in learners through teaching a range of strategies
  • To critically reflect on the appropriateness and use of resources available in schools

and the success criteria was:

We will be able to:

• Define ‘mental mathematics’
  • Name, demonstrate and teach a range of mental strategies
  • Identify appropriate resources to support the teaching of a variety of mental strategies

The first thing that was given to us was a worksheet with a number of different sums on it. It was explained that we had to work out all of these sums in 60 seconds and I was already very nervous about this task. I then read which stated, “In the following simple arithmetic problems a (+) sign means to multiply, a (-) sign means to divide, a (x) sign means to subtract and a (÷) means to add.” This made me feel even more anxious about completely the task, especially in

The 60 second test!

The 60 second test!

60 seconds! The sheet had two rows of 20 problems which we had to solve in which I started to answer them in the order that they were given. After the time was up, I only managed to complete 9 of the problems which I was extremely disappointed about. In a class discussion, other students in the class explained that they did not work out the problems in the same order as I had. Someone mentioned that they tried to work out the problems that the same rule was applied to. For example, solving all of the division problems first. If I had used this method it could have resulted in being able to solve more of the problems. When I saw that others in the class had used the same method as I had and they were unable to complete the sheet, it made boosted my confidence. It showed me that I wasn’t the only person in the class who was unable to solve all of the problems in 60 seconds. I feel that this task has boosted my confidence in maths.

We were shown a number of different resources that could be used in a maths lesson. In groups, the class discussed how these resources could be used and experiments with them. These included:

First and Second Levels (CfE)

• Number Lines
  • Show me boards
  • 100 square
  • Swinging mascot/ball/apple
  • Patilla stick
  • Empty number line(E.N.L.)
  • Digit cards
  • Flash cards
  • Place value arrow cards
  • Relate to inverse of the tables
  • Chain (or loop) cards (variety of topics) ‘I am…Who is…?’ cards

All of these resources that were shown in this input were extremely interesting to see and use. It has shown me that maths can be more fun that I had originally thought. Since going to these maths input, my attitude towards the subject has completely changed and I am extremely excited about teaching maths in class!

One thought on “Mental maths! 1, 2, 3… GO!!

1. Excited about teaching maths! That’s brilliant news! I also found today’s input to be inspiring and encouraging. I’m so glad that we’re moving away from endless worksheets and boring ‘sums.’
    I can’t wait hear about how you use some of the resources and techniques when we go out on placement.

Reply