REFLECTIONS-(29/10/2019)

This week we took part in music and visual arts workshop. Within our art workshop we looked at higher order and visual thinking using emotional learning cards. These cards can be seen in the images below.

We used Tayler’s assessment model of form, content, mood and process to critically analyse the above image. This task made me understand the importance of taking a closer look at an image rather than just making assumptions at a glance. Especially in today’s age as we communicate massively through only the use of pictures, so it clear that we need to equip our young people with the skills to understand these images (Sowerby, 2013). We used the questions to prompt us to think about different aspects of the picture to help use to evaluate and analyse the image. I think that children would find this activity challenging because even I found it challenging.  However, with the information on the back of the cards and Tayler’s model questions it made understanding these tricky pictures easier. Clearly it is important that as teachers we question children’s opinions and give them a chance to share these views while also finding out what makes them think this.  As this allows them to form opinions and express there ideas and feelings which is an important part of the expressive arts (HMIe, 2006).

While in music we were given a tutorial about Charanga a website with many resources to help teacher when teaching music. After having look at this website, I think that I will be an extremely useful resource when teaching music. This is the kind of resource that I feel will encourage lots of teachers to teach music as it provides you with everything you need. It includes lesson plan for each term for each level of the curriculum not only does it provide you with all the resource and lesson plans that you may need it also allows you to make your own lesson plans up to use with children. This website also covers all the E’s and O’s within the curriculum such as “I enjoy singing and playing along to music of different styles and cultures. EXA 0-16a.  and I have the freedom to use my voice, musical instruments and music technology to discover and enjoy playing with sound and rhythm. EXA- 017a ” (Scottish Government, 2017). I think that the activities on Charanga would be engaging and exciting for children and  they would benefit from them. This resource also includes lessons aimed at every stage this means that they would not need to be adapted to meet the Children’s developmental needs.  The video below shows my peers taking part in some of the activities.

I think that even after today’s tutorial there are still many areas of Charanga to explore. To deepen my knowledge on this subject I think that I will have to spend more time having a look around the website to ensure that I am able to get the most out of this resource.

HMIe (2006) Emerging Good Practices in Promoting Creativity. [Online] Available: https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED544590.pdf [Accessed: 3 December 2019].

Matthew Sowerby (2013) Developing Visual Literacy through Participatory Photography. 34.28 mins. [Online] Available: https://vimeo.com/channels/uwsartistteacherliteracy  [Accessed:29 October 2019]

Scottish Government (2017) Benchmarks Expressive Arts. [Online] Available: https://education.gov.scot/…/Documents/ExpressiveArtsBenchmar… [Accessed : 29 October 2019].