Milngavie Early Years Centre

news for parents

Some Balancing Fun and Valentine’s Day Crafts

Elaine Campbell and her lovely daughter, Lily, have been having lots of fun trying different ways to balance at home.  You’ll need a bit of space to do this.  Maybe your mum or dad can try it too!  Here is Elaine’s post:

Hi girls and boys! 
For today’s activity I thought it would be fun to try different ways to balance. Lily and I have taken some photos of ways we tried to balance. We may have fallen over trying one or two! 
Ways we could balance:
Photo 1:  One leg out to the side
Photo 2: One leg out behindPhoto 3:  Making a table 

Photo 4: in our table top Lily lifted one hand from the floor
Photo 5: Lily lifted one foot of the ground in her table top
Photo 6: Lily managed to lift one had and one foot – this one was a bit tricky!
Photo 7: Can you balance on your bottom? 
If you can think of any other ways to balance Lily and I would love to hear and give it a try. 
Looking forward to seeing you all soon. 
Elaine xx
VALENTINE’S DAY IS NEXT SUNDAY – Lisa, Emilie and Rosa have sent us some brilliant ideas for Valentine Crafts
Here is Lisa’s Post:

Hi Girls and Boys,

This week it is Valentines Day, and when we are in nursery we sometimes do some Valentines Day crafts to give to our grown ups or friends. 
This week Emilie, Rosa and I decided to make some different crafts that I will share with you here. Firstly we all made some Valentines crowns, and this was a nice easy one. All you need for this is some card and colouring pencils, but you can add on some more details if you have them at home. We made the crowns from cardboard cut into strips and taped together – and just coloured or decorated these with hearts and gems, We decided to add some pipe cleaner twists, and Rosa added some more cardboard hearts as ears on to hers for extra details.
This fingerprint card was done with some paint, card and a separate love heart template that I cut out and I taped gently to the card. I used my thumb dipped in paint to paint around it the template, and add some spots. When I had painted around it I took the template off and that left a lovely heart shape where you can write any message you would like (or your grown up can help for little ones!). I am sure your grown ups would love to get one of these for Valentines Day. Emilie bent some pipe cleaners into love heart shapes and sellotaped them onto her card, which she had already done some pink painted spots on. 
Rosa decided that she wanted to make a little fox ornament out of a toilet roll tube, paint and card. She painted the tube pink, and drew a face in the shape of a heart onto some white card, before cutting it out and sticking it onto the cardboard tube when it was dry. She did the same with the tail, and added some foil ears and tummy. You could just colour this in if you don’t have any foil, or decorate with anything you have at home. I am sure you will do a fantastic job! 
I hope you enjoy having a go at some Valentine’s Day crafts.