Tuesday 25th June by Grace Clark

My day started off by waking up at a time i didn’t ever want to face- 4:45am. And i knew immediately that i was going to be shattered the entire day. We arrived at church for 5:50am and each of us got assigned a St Patrick’s student to sit next to for the mass since we where doing a day in the life of a St Patrick’s student today. After church we all walked towards the dining room where we had our breakfast. We had “porridge” which I would say tasted more similar to sugary slime but i still managed to swallow my pride and gulp it all down since i couldn’t sit facing all of the students saying that I don’t like the food they eat everyday. Not long afterward we all went to our first class, mine’s was maths. This class filled me with joy as we were learning about stuff that we learn back at home which for a short moment brought us all together and made me forget about the drastic differnce of our lifestyles. My second class was computing science where they where learning about all the keys on the keyboard which initially confused me as I thought it was common sense but then after deeper thought I felt a wave of sadness when I realised that the things that seem so normal to us are like aliens to some people since they aren’t as privileged as us and get access to all types of technology. 

For break one of the boys took me around the school and then he insisted on buying me some type of bread from the tuck shop despite begging him not to. This warmed my heart since even though they don’t have a lot all of the boys still go out of their way to give us the best they can and more. The part of the day i was dreading most was lunch time and when it finally came around I got too scared and backed down. Me and Keira thought we had managed to escape when we went to go home but too our suprise we where greeted by many of the students and got hurried into the dining room. After i’d sat down i looked around myself and found that we where surrounded but roughly ten people staring down at us. Once I had finally built up the courage I lifted up the nsima with my hand and scooped some beans onto it. The texture of the food on my hands immediately made me feel nauseous, but I still put it in my mouth and swallowed it. However my worst nightmare happened, the minute it hit my throat iI boaked and tears started running down my face. I instantly felt embarressed but instead of everyone that was watching me judge me they all laughed and chose to see the humorous side of it instead of getting offended. Despite them not judging me (well at least not to my face) I still feel guilty for making them think that the food they eat for two meals a day is inedible to me. 

Once the school day had ended we all decided to teach the boys how to play rounders which turned out to be a great success. Not long into the game we all realised that even though it was their first time playing the game they where still better than us at it. This further displayed how talented all of the students in St Patrick’s are despite them having a poverty ridden lifestyle. This made me feel an immense amount of hope for each of them and also reminded me that life isn’t only about the amount of opportunities you get, it is about what you do with the opportunties you are given.

Grace

7 thoughts on “Tuesday 25th June by Grace Clark”

1. Grace to walk in the footsteps of the boys today, appreciating the stark differences between their life and yours, and yet be able to feel hope for them is the best sentiment you could have. Hope is everything. I’m sure the boys will have seen the funny side of you ‘boaking’ because they are just kids – I thought you might have eaten some nsima before now. Granny had been watching videos on how to make it! You are all doing great – my heart is bursting with love for you. Keep laughing with the kids and keep the joy in your heart. Lots of love Mum 🩷🩷🩷

2. Hi everyone, thanks for sharing your experiences with us Grace sounds like you had an eventful day.Well done for trying the food many wouldn’t.Take care of yourselves, can’t wait to hear about your day tomorrow.👍😁

3. Sounds like another amazing day. I agree Grace not many people would have tried the food. You are a super bunch if young adults and can’t wait to read tomorrow’s blog. Goodnight everyone.

4. Sounds like another amazing day, the ‘boaking’ made me laugh but a big well done for trying it, hope you all have a great day tomorrow x

5. Hello my darling Granddaughter. It’s wonderful to hear about your day. We are very proud of you and all the other kids you are with. The boys from St Patricks sound really kind and lovely. How lucky you are to meet them and to share time with them.
    All the blogs I have read this week from the boys, Kiera and you have really touched Grandad and I so much.
    Enjoy the rest of your stay.
    See you soon.

Granny & Grandad.😘😘😘

6. Tonight’s blog was very insightful. It’s good to appreciate the simple things in life that we all take for granted. Well done you for eating the food despite the fear… you made me laugh. Looking forward to hearing more of the adventures and memories you are all making.
    Tracie mcgee

7. Great to read all about everything that you are all doing helping those in need wish I had this chance when I was at school which was many moons ago I pray for you all everyday god bless everyone 🙏🙏🙏.