Disasters

Theme: Disasters

Key Learning:

We had to organise ourselves into groups and pick one specific natural disaster. We then had to do a micro teaching task on it. My group picked Earthquakes for the task. We each took a different section to research.

These were – What is an Earthquake, Primary effects, Secondary Effects, Measuring an Earthquake, Case Study: Haiti and the Procedure during an earthquake.

We presented it to our section and it lasted 15 minutes. I was quite looking forward to it as my group had put a lot of time and effort into the lesson. We aimed it for upper primary/2nd level. It was really interesting to watch everyone else’s micro teaching presentations. Some had approaches I would never have thought of, so it was really thought provoking.

Impact on my Views/Lifestyle/Practice:

Out of all the tasks we have done in this module I found this one really engaging and thought provoking. It was very relevant to actual teaching and I gained a lot of ideas from other peoples really engaging presentations. I think teaching children about natural disasters is really key and something that kids can benefit a lot from. It is good to use case studies to put things into a real perspective.

Areas of Interest to Explore Further/Develop:

For me, this has made me think a lot more about natural disasters and I am keen to research into them more and to look at other case studies. This is definitely something I would be keen to teach my class about in the future.