Climate Change

Theme: Climate Change

Key Learning:

Climate change is having a massive effect on the Earth in the present. There is a lot of evidence to back this up, such as:

›higher temperatures

›changing rainfall

›changes in nature

›sea level rises

›retreating glaciers

›sea ice

›ice sheets

I used the online tool at from WWF at:

http://footprint.wwf.org.uk/?_ga=1.176985891.745195644.1442412124
to measure my carbon footprint. Overall I was actually pleased by the results.

screen-shot-2016-10-06-at-12-04-43
Above you can see that my carbon footprint is 97%, with the biggest part of this being due to travel as I use my car all of the time and I rarely get public transport. I also tend to get a takeaway or eat out if can’t be bothered cooking therefore change of diet is another way in which I can imrpove my personal carbon footprint.
Impact on my views/lifestyle/practice:

Before the lecture on climate change, I had very limited knowledge on the area. It always felt as though it was something “adults” talked about. However now I am one of these adults and I feel as if now it involves me so much more. Not only that, I feel as though the kids I am teaching should be aware of it and taught about it more than I ever was.  Since the lecture, I have realised that the world is in far graver a position than I first thought. Talking about myself, this lecture has made me reflect on the fact that I take our climate for granted. I feel like I need to make a change in order to meet the 2020 targets.  Hopefully if everyone does this it will create a better environment for everyone in the future.
Areas of interest to explore further/develop:

I really enjoyed using the Footprint calculator on the WWF website and I would like to use it again with children. I feel as though Climate change is a massive topic and I need to do some further research and reading on it.