Leona MacDonald UWS ITE ePDP

Sustainable development-Interdependence

Theme:

Interdependence

Key Learning:

How all the worlds systems and food chains are dependent on one another.

The importance of conservation and respect of other species.

How the loss of one species can have huge implications for others.

The importance of soil in climate change and our food systems.

I thoroughly enjoyed the topic Interdependence and got a lot from it. It happens that organics foods and agriculture was already a personal interest of mine but the experiences from this topic has made me more knowledge of this area and feel even more passionately about it than I have before.

Impact on my views/lifestyle/practice:

I was really annoyed to hear that the cows in the farm visit are born and die in that shed without ever getting outside. It bothered me that the calves were taken away from their mothers within hours of being born and were quickly transferred over to a diet of powdered milk because it was more “cost effective” for the farmer.

I was also extremely disappointed to hear that if the calf that was born was male it would be slaughtered.

To be told that cows don’t have feelings and are “…all very happy here,” I found to be an insult to my intelligence when we in fact witnessed a cow getting distressed after it’s calf had been lifted away from it (a sight which I’m certain the farmer did not want us to see.)

It bothered me so much so that I have planned a visit to another farm as I feel I need to see more about where my food is coming from.

I found the visit from The Soil association to be of great interest. I had no idea that soil had an impact on climate change and actually stores carbon. Healthy soils store more carbon than all the forests in the world which helps combat climate change. Who knew?

One quarter of the worlds biodiversity is found in the soil which supports most of the food chains on the planet. So, no soil, no food.

I have been a member of the soil association for a number of years because I believed that healthy soils are a good thing. I hadn’t realised how deep it’s importance ran. I also learned about how it is better for our soil to be covered in vegetation of some sort because it keeps it healthier. I have always kept a nice garden but had soil showing and space between my plants, not realising that it is actually healthier to have plants growing everywhere. This is a project for me for next spring.

I definitely have a better understanding of how my actions impact the environment and just how fragile our systems are and how they can be impacted if not protected. I am beginning to make changes by choosing fish with the MSC logo and types of fish that are more abundant. I am, where I can, choosing to buy organic foods as I have learned more about hoe pesticides destroy our ever important soils and I am also trying to buy more locally sourced foods.

Areas of interest to explore further/develop:

I enjoyed the visit to the farm, although I can’t say that it sat well with me the way in which the farm worked. In fact, I feel it was a real eye opener for me and instilled further my values about allowing living things to thrive in their own natural environment.

I have arranged for a visit to another farm who have different ways of working which I believe to be far more sustainable for the environment. I will post my findings in this section once I have been.