Is rote learning the way to learn?

I have recently read an article called What is the secret to being good at maths? (Lo and Andrews, 2015). This has really got me thinking about the way maths is taught in schools and the techniques that can be used.

I noticed that there was a reoccurring theme throughout the article about if rote learning should be used within schools. I agree to a certain extent that rote learning needs to be used in order to learn certain aspects of maths, such as times tables. I am unsure if this is the way to consistently teach maths in a primary classroom. I found this article interesting as it is a very controversial subject in education and I thought I would explore this further.

In the article by Lo and Andrews(2015) they focus on the difference between children who are taught in Japan and the children who are taught in Australia. Their research shows that children in ‘Asian countries like Singapore and Japan lead the ranks in first and second position on maths performances in the Program for International Student Assessment Tables.’ (Lo and Andrews, 2015). In these countries rote learning is the most common way of teaching and children use their love of ‘competition to fuel their passion for maths.’

It is found that Australia is entirely against the idea of pupils being taught in this ‘drilling’ manner. They have found that pupils do not benefit from rote learning and will lack understanding to perform mathematical problems. Lo and Andrews(2015) did state that ‘research suggests that memorisation and rote learning remain important classroom techniques.’ Learning should be made enjoyable for students and teachers should aim to focus on keeping their class engaged with the lesson.

I also found another article which was written by Stephen Adams called Understanding maths ‘more important than learning by rote’. I thought I would include this as Adams(2012) encourages teachers to promote other ways of learning compared to just rote learning. It is stated in the article that students should be focusing more about the mathematical thinking and problem solving rather than memorising tools e.g. times tables. This article is written about the English education system and the new curriculum that they have implemented is to ‘raise the requirement of what children are expected to know at each age.’ (Adams, 2012).

I understand both articles view points and I have consider the arguments that have been made. I am still to make up my mind about if rote learning is necessary in the primary school. I can say that reading these articles has allowed me to become a little more open minded about other peoples perspectives on the subject of rote learning.

I do have one question.

What do you think. Should rote learning be used in primary schools?

Adams, S.(2012) Understanding maths ‘more important than learning by rote’. Available at: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/9415280/Understanding-maths-more-important-than-learning-by-rote.html (Accessed: 3 November 2015).

Lo, S. and Andrews, S. (2015) What is the secret to being good at maths? Available at: http://theconversation.com/what-is-the-secret-to-being-good-at-maths-49222 (Accessed: 30 October 2015).

2 thoughts on “Is rote learning the way to learn?

1. I feel I should reply to your question!
    I strongly believe (as does Liping Ma and Jo Boaler) that a sound conceptual understanding is far more important than learning facts (eg times tables) and although knowing number bonds speeds up mental calculations the principle of partitioning is far more transferable, and therefore valuable. Why not carry out some informal action research next time you are on placement and see what you discover?
    Richard

Reply
    1. Post author

Thank you Richard for your advice. I am going to consider doing some research on this when I go on placement next year.

Kirsty

Reply